• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

'HDMI Audio not supported' not supported message on Samsung HD950

wonderloaf

Have had a HD950 for few months now and overall am very pleased with it. One thing that is beginning to annoy me is 'HDMI Audio not supported' message that appears. I can live with it when playing normal DVD's as it is only on screen for a few seconds, but I'm now using the HD950 to play DVD-A's (and hopefully soon SACD's) and have found that with DVD-A's the message stays on screen permanently, so presuming the same will happen with SACD's.

I have done a quick search and think there may be a fix by updating the frimware, but has anybody actually done this with success ie without bricking the HD950? Also is it possible to revert to the original firmware if all goes wrong?

unique

Have had a HD950 for few months now and overall am very pleased with it. One thing that is beginning to annoy me is 'HDMI Audio not supported' message that appears. I can live with it when playing normal DVD's as it is only on screen for a few seconds, but I'm now using the HD950 to play DVD-A's (and hopefully soon SACD's) and have found that with DVD-A's the message stays on screen permanently, so presuming the same will happen with SACD's.

I have done a quick search and think there may be a fix by updating the frimware, but has anybody actually done this with success ie without bricking the HD950? Also is it possible to revert to the original firmware if all goes wrong?

you can go in the menu settings and turn off the warnings. it turns off all screen messages. there are a few threads on the player here with links to the firmware, google up the zoran yahoo group and you will find the firmware to remove the message permanently. if you do that, make sure you wait a few mins when the disc is in the player, if you turn the player off whilst firmware updating or it goes wrong, then you will definately brick the player and not be able to fix it

wonderloaf

Hi unique, works like a dream, now I'm really embarrassed as I should have RTFM before posting :blush:

Anyway, thanks again and a Merry Christmas to yourself and all those on AV Forums.

unique

Hi unique, works like a dream, now I'm really embarrassed as I should have RTFM before posting :blush:

Anyway, thanks again and a Merry Christmas to yourself and all those on AV Forums.

don't worry, the manual is a PITA. oh, and choose the 4:2:2 output setting for hdmi as thats the best option. the manual isn't clear on that and i was using RGB to being with. you can choose 4:4:4 if you like but it won't make any difference, 4:2:2 is native dvd settings. you can google up if you want a long and boring explanation of what it means :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom