HDMI audio not available to select...

ChrisAV

Established Member
Reaction score
HI

Mobo is GA-MA78GM-SH and I'm trying to connect it to my Panasonic LCD TV via HDMI. Video is fine but I can't get any audio (either connected to via my ampp or direct to the TV).

I've changed the BIOS setting (Onboard VGA output to D-Sub/HDMI) but when I go to 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' the only option is 'Realtek HD Audio Output', but from the manual there should be a 'Realtek HDA HDMI Out' option.

I tried re-installing the driver (HDMI is listed in the hardware tab) but noticed is was failing to start. I used roll back and now it is showing as functioning.

Any idea how to get it working, or alternatively just use HDMI for video and analogue for audio (analogue audio is fine when used with VGA).

Thanks

Chris

I installed the HD drivers on the disc that came with the board (R1.93-5.10.0.5624(XP)/6.0.1.5624(VISTA) - I assume it installed the XP version which is what I'm using).

I used the link you supplied, ticked the box and clicked 'next', which took me to a page with a link 'This object has been moved' which just takes you back to the first page (!)

I did find a link in the side panel (HD Audio Codec Driver) and found a driver 'HDMI_213.exe' - is this the one?

Thanks

Chris

That should be the one :thumbsup:.

Tried to download from Realtek but no joy, first attempt corrupted download, then couldn't get back to the download page. Anyway, went to Gigabyte site today which seemed to have the same version (2.13) which I have downloaded, extracted and installed and the driver for ATI HDMI Audio has ben updated.

Under Sounds and Audio Device Properties, Hardware Tab:

ATI HDMI Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

but on the Audio tab there is only one option - Realtek High Definition Audio, but the manual says I should select 'Realtek HD HDMI Out' (is this the same as ATI HDMI).

Also just re-reading the manual, it says 'after installing te HDM device...' - I assumed it was referring to connecting the amp or TV, but am now wondering if I am missing some hardware?

Thanks again.

Chris

Hi - that's the one.

I'm running XP, but there is just no option to select the HDMI device as the default, the only option is in the drop down box is the Realtek D audio.

Screen dumps attached.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen1.JPG
    Screen1.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Screen2.JPG
    Screen2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 120
Might be worth giving v.1.86 a try

Last edited:
Update - I have sound over HDMI. I have bypassed the amp, connecting directly to the TV.

Not sure if this alone has fixed it, I also tried disabling S/PDIF out in the the mixer tab.

I'll keep playing around, but at least the HDMI device is available to select (and actually selected itself somehow).

Thanks again.

Chris

OK - PC to TV, HDMI audio device available, PC to AMP to PC not available (but passes video) - tried it several times now both ways.

I'm sure I tried direct to TV before (though possibly forgot to turn the volume up from zero, but pretty sure I did) so maybe the 2.13 update has partially fixed the problem.

Any ideas why it won't play nicely with the amp, I'm using exactly the same input/settings as I use for my 360 which works fine (and no overscan bars....).

EDIT: apps (VLC, itunes, window sounds etc) play OK, but Realtek HD audio manager test tones dont?

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
I have this motherboard too, my second one actually the first one had a cap blow on it which was nice coz now i have a version 1.1 board.

I'm using vista but i gave up on the sound over hdmi, i get major handshake issues with the audio over hdmi. Dunno why, i now have my audio from the optical out on the board to the amp and video via HDMI to Amp. Works a treat. You won't lose out on sound quality as the board cannot decode the HD audio formats anyway, the closest you will get is 7.1 over LPCM via the analogue outs on the board to the analogue in on the amp.

Not much help am I, but if you scroll through this section you will find countless posts regarding sound issues over HDMI on this motherboard.

Thanks Dave - I'm so impressed with HDMI I ordered an optical cable a couple of hours ago. :D

One final observation, when connected via the amp (still no sound) I changed the amp settings to allow HDMI audio passthrough (it's off by default, and if you enable it's drop the signal to stereo, presumably because the TV it's passed to is stereo). Anyway, when I enabled pass though XP popped up detecting a new device, but after resarting still no audio from amp.

So, I now have HDMI video and muli-channel audio (and wondering why I ordered and optical cable :rolleyes:). I was about to moan about the lack of desktop resolutions available with HDMI, but having just looked there's loads more when connected direct to TV (and it's just upped from 720P to 1080P, so happy now) :)!

Ah, long day, going down the shops to buy alcohol....

Thanks again eveyone.

Chris

Vague comment as I binned the manual and haven't installed adobe on this yet, but have you read the manual for the mobo ?

My memory thinks you had to choose a pin connection on the mobo between HDMI and Optical audio (near the rear ports).

I'll check the pdf at work tomorrow and check back irrespective of this being totally wrong !

Yep, read the manual many times! Some bits even made sense :D

Are you referring to the internal connector to the front panel (lablelled FD audio, section 11 page 28 of the manual), in which case I have a chassis with a split cable (HD/AC97), and connected the HD terminal (as the manual said HD would be available at the front and rear panel).

Cheers

Chris

Yeah that's the section !

I've my mobo in an Antec Fusion, and also had no sound until I configured DTS within the supplied software - I'd connected the mobo to deliver sound via Optical though as my amp doesn't do HDMI so goes straight to the LCD.

No help at all to you, but at least I'm not imagining things ;)

Funny you should mention DTS, I noticed last night the my Kraftwerk DVD (Maximum/Minimum) was only outputting stereo (playing with VLC). The disc is 5.1 DTS, other discs I've tried were all DD and seemed to play all channels.

Chris

Just a footnote, if anyone's interested, the optical cable arrived today and works fine, even the the Kraftwerk DVD plays now so I probably stick with that for now as I have no HD audio source.

Chris

Guys,

I own the Marantz AV8003 receiver and the ATI HD4350. I have installed the latest display driver. After this HDMI audio device remains yellow in my hardware and is not installed properly. So I know already that I have to download something for this but I see a lot of different drivers on the net for it. Which one do I have to install?

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...p/hdmiaudio-xp both these two? (I have XP with SP3)

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false which one do I need? Or do I only need the 9.1 driver from the ATI site?

thxz

I couldn't get either of your links to work, but personally I'd go for the 9.1 from the amd/ati sit (Drivers & Tools | GAME.AMD.COM).

I couldn't get anything to download fro Realtek, but they do have a notice saying their drivers are generic, and that you should use manufacturers verions to ensure you don't lose any functionality, or something like that.

Chris

thxz for your reply!

However, I m not fully there where I want and I ll tell why:

I ve installed the Realtek HDMI audio driver. I got sound but it only was 2-channel. So I removed this realtek driver and installed the ati HDMI audio driver on your advice from the link I mentioned earlier in this post. Now I do get fully PCM output 5.1 channel support that my receiver can handle!

But I ve already discovered the first problem:

When I Power OFF my receiver the ATI HD Audio Rear Output device disappears. When turning ON my receiver I can select it again (I don t even have to restart my HTPC!). How can I config my system so that the device stays for good? Is there a fix or workaround for this?

thxz

Be sure to log your problems/issues with ATI also: http://support.ati.com/

I currently have tickets open with ATI and ASUS on a 3650 where I cannot get audio via the DVI->HDMI dongle if I use any newer ATI drivers, other than the supplied 8.4 version which came with the card.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom