HDMI Audio KVM? With standard PC Audio output?

lorax1284

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a multi PC setup with a KVM.

Is there such a thing as a 4 PC HDMI KVM that supports standard PC 5.1 output?

My thinking was this:

- 4 PCs connected via HDMI cable to HDMI KVM.
- HDMI out from KVM into something that will let me plug in standard 5.1 PC speakers: my HDMI KVM doesn't have this capability, and I don't know of a KVM that has this capability, if there is one, please let me know, I've searched everywhere to no avail)
- The box repeats the HDMI signal which goes to the Screen.

So, effectively, put a box between the HDMI out of my KVM to the HDMI in of the screen and that box puts out Analog 5.1 but also puts out the HDMI signal for the picture.

I suppose I could do something where the HDMI out from the TV sends the sound too, that would be fine, but the issue is still the same: without installing a full HDMI AVR I don't know how to get 5.1 sound with an HDMI KVM.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd spend as much as $500 on a compact solution that solves this problem. I simply don't have room for an AVR or I'd use one that sits mostly unused in my bedroom.

They're usually called something along the lines of an HDMI audio extractor.

Thanks: I looked for something like that but they seem to offer SPDIF output, not really just let me plug the speakers I'd normally plug into a single PC into the back of the unit. One that was discontinued had RCA outs that I supposed I could adapt, but I was thinking it's discontinued because it wasn't an HDMI to Analog converter, it probably offered decrypting of the digital audio stream and the HDMI folks don't like that. I just don't want some huge amplifier on my computer table just to allow my switchbox to work with audio :-( or to have a KVM with more than just stereo audio out / switching... a KVM that can decrypt and turn to analog HDMI audio shouldn't violate any copyright / DMCA rules, right? just taking the sound that is already going to come out of speakers and putting it out speakers... right? I guess the notion of a KVM with 5.1 or 7.1 audio output is just too niche-y.

Many PC surround sound systems do have a S/PDIF input. I assume you're talking specifically about analogue audio then?

I don't know much about AV black boxes, but I did a quick search and there appear to be multiple models available, e.g.
Amazon product ASIN B01H1W92Y4Amazon product ASIN B01B5FR722

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Many PC surround sound systems do have a S/PDIF input. I assume you're talking specifically about analogue audio then?

I don't know much about AV black boxes, but I did a quick search and there appear to be multiple models available, e.g.

Thanks EndlessWaves... Alot of those links go to products that are unavailable, or to broken pages... I was able to catch one before it was DMCAed out of existence on AliExpress: it has HDMI passthrough and 7.1 analog audio out... RCA ports, so I wonder if it will actually work with standard PC surround speakers with the right adaptors... but if this works, I'll report back and let people know. I'm hoping that my video card won't be all snooty and refuse to talk to the thing.

All the ones I linked show as being in stock for me. Are you in a difficult location to deliver to or something?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom