HDMI audio 'jitter' anyone?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Batdog, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Hi there

I've been enjoying lossless audio from HD DVD & Blu-Ray for a year or so now, with my EP30 & PS3 converting to LPCM and sending it to my Denon 2307 via HDMI.

I find myself quite interested in the different options for enjoying lossless, and wondering whether in the next year or two I may purchase new equipment that would allow me to bitstream the raw data to a compatible amp to enjoy decoding performed by the receiver rather than the player.

On of the things that has always puzzled me a little is the issue of 'jitter' that supposedly affacts audio output over HDMI. If anybody with a little more knowledge wishes to tidy up my rather limited understanding then please do so, but as I understand it HDMI does not allow for separate timing for audio which leads to this 'jitter'.

The thing that puzzles me is that I have never pinpointed anything when watching movies that made me think i was hearing 'jitter'? To my ears it sounds exactly as I think it should. It's not like 3:2 pulldown judder on the video side of things that I can spot a mile off.

Just wondering whether anybody else ever notices audio 'jitter' over HDMI?

Also, would it affect bitstream output over HDMI for receiver decoding?

Cheers

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I always thought jitter and snake oil were closely connected.

And for my next trick
    I will attempt to answer why God isn't answering your prayers ....... Jim Carey was standing in for him while he took a holiday?

3. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Moved to General Home Cinema Chat. :)