Hdmi audio fix

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought rocksmith 2014 (ps4 slim ). What do I need to buy to be able to fix the lag?
I see audio splitters and audio extractors. Are they the same thing? For anyone that has bought one, can you recommend a particular item?
Thanks

First thing to try is switch audio output to stereo uncompressed. Works for me.

Edit. I’m on Xbox, just noticed you’re on Ps4, not sure that’s an option on PS?

I'll have a look when I get home. Posted here as there doesn't seem to be much about rocksmith in the ps4 forum

Despite it being the Xbox section, this has pretty much been the forum goto place for all things Rocksmith, for years.

Completely format neutral here :D

Pretty much anything and everything Guitar related we’ll talk about here, so if you have any other questions, just guitar related rather than Rocksmith related there’s usually someone around that can help.

I’m assuming of course you’re new to guitar and not just new to Rocksmith, which obviously may not be the case :)

Hi and welcome (back, I think :hiya: )

Biggest problem you have is the "slim" part of your PS4. There's no optical on that unit, so you're forced to use HDMI. HDMI into TV can cause lag. And the choice of TV and settings willl make all the difference.

If you have HDMI going into an audio amp, change amp settings to STRAIGHT, or PURE or whatever your amp will do to output simplest unproccessed audio. You do not want full fat Dolby surround, pro-logic, simulated atmos or any of that. Any kind of processing will introduce lag.

If you have HDMI going into TV and using those speakers, then make sure you use GAME mode on TV, and just go through all the settings and turn every kind of picture or sound processing off. If no game mode, select a preset to use and turn off every processing available.

If you have HDMI going into TV then sound out to amp, you can do both the above, but I doubt that will fix anything as you've introduced another link in the chain.

I haven't had the need to try the splitter/extractor route as I have original PS4 with optical out, but I still set amp to STRAIGHT. That makes a difference.

I have read that USB extractor to optical (Spidif) is supposed to not introduce lag, so that might be your best bet. That's if you can use the optical spdif signal

I can't say how good they are or what cabling you need into amp/headphones, but here are a few that might help.

Amazon product ASIN B01N905VOY 3.5mm output for headphones/soundbar/amp. If it's just headphones, have you tried the headphone jack on the PS4 controller?

Amazon product ASIN B07K24FD4K with red/white/L/R RCA and 3.5mm for amp/soundbar.

Amazon product ASIN B00XJITK7E This one uses HDMI, so you can take HDMI from PS4, pull sound out using RCA (red/white/L/R) or Spdif (but no 3.5mm) to amp or soundbar, then HDMI onto TV for video.

Amazon product ASIN B08P7CHQYF looks to be the same as above, but replaces the RCA with a 3.5mm joack for headphones or amp/soundbar input.

Can't find anything in the PS4 audio setup, other than on mine I have option for HDMI/Optical (which I use) and LPCM (Which I use), Dolby bitsream.

Pretty much need to know what you are planning on using for your sound output. TV speakers (What model TV you got?), soundbar, external powered speakers, Audio amp, or just simply headphones.

Let us know how you connect at the moment. What TV you have, whether you use an amp or soundbar, and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Using a cheap soundbar for sound. It does have an aux socket I think. Sounds like quickest way of to try using the headphone jack on controller.
Thinking if that don't work it might be easier to just buy xbox version (I thought both had the same problem so went with the console I use most) and use optical?

Wouldn't put too much faith in the headphone jack on controller. I'd guess the bluetooth (flying the signal over the air from PS4 to controller rather than along a cable) to be more problematic than your current HDMI.

I'd guess your soundbar will have a 3.5mm aux jack, so I'd give this a shot first...

Amazon product ASIN B08FBYS3KZ
After, of course doing the TV settings I mentioned, GAME mode, all processing off. There's every chance that will help, if you haven't tried that. Do that stuff first.

Anyone know if the Xbox Series X is any better?

Sure my Xbox One X is slightly worse than the Xbox One which is slightly worse than the Xbox 360 which used analogue.

I use a splitter and a separate guitar amp now when I play on the One X.

Series X is the same as the One X and the One before that for me.

Using Stereo Uncompressed, going HDMI to my amp then from the amp to the TV

Nothing beats analogue out of 360 version with adapter! Digital just brought problems. In end I bought a sound bar just for One rather than use AV amp, go optical (optical can’t he analogue!) and still has a bit of lag but usable.

Just seen this on the RS forum, might be of interest.

"Bought the Astro HDMI PS5 adapter on recommendation from user R2. It splits hdmi into hdmi for video and optical (SPDIF) for sound. Plugged HDMI into tv and optical into Receiver with external speakers. That reduced the lag to zero again for me. I think it works with Xbox as well.

https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/10...playstation-5/ "

Will try the settings on tv and see how it goes, didn't get chance last night. I use a hdmi switch for consoles as don't have enough hdmi on tv. Would introducing another splitter cause problems ?
For same money could get xbox version. So if settings don't help I may just go that route.

Still getting a bit of lag. Was thinking of connecting up my amp. I see I need a splitter, and that it must be mono.
Would this be what I need?
Link

Bear in mind what you are doing when you split the signal is basically taking half of the signal away. This means two paths for grounding issues (noise), half the impedance (less bright) and having to boost the signal (twice the noise floor).

At the easiest/cheapest level you can simply get a phono splitter like they do for headphone jacks, it would work. Plug into your guitar and then one to Rocksmith and one to amp.

Amazon product ASIN B008PDUHIO
Much better to buy something that is designed to do the job so one of these would work, I've got a mini version of the fender one similar to the Donner.

Amazon product ASIN B07N3ZBHR5
Amazon product ASIN B00HQXUH5W
You don't have to use power with most ABY pedals but I think they work better if you do. I don't bother but if you get noise it's worth a try, similarly using a buffer can help or a pedal with one built in.

Like pedal power supply's a lot depends on your electric supply, some people can get away with a Daisy chained 10 quid plug off Ebay where others need electricity conditioners and top of the range isolated power supplies. Horses for courses and all that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom