Question HDMI audio adapter

gcare

Novice Member
I have a SONY STR-DH810 AV amplifier, supporting both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, but I can't use to pass through HDMI as it do not support 4K.
I play movies from a PC with HDMI to the TV and a digital output to the amplifier. Unfortunately the S/PDIF can't stream the high def audio, so I need an additional HDMI just for the audio to the amplifier.
As the video card has just one HDMI output I should add another video card, but I am looking for a lower cost solution, with some adapter which could support only audio. Any suggestions?

gcare

Novice Member
It is an ASUS GTX-970 with:
DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), Yes x 1 (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 1 (HDMI 2.0)
Display Port : Yes x 1 (Regular DP)

I was not aware that Display Port has audio too, now I need to find a suitable adapter.
I was looking to the HD Fury AVR Key to extract the audio from the HDMI, but it is very expensive.

ChuckMountain

Yes plenty of cables on Amazon, either use existing HDMI to HDMI cable with AVR or Displayport to HDMI either way round it should work.

gcare

Novice Member
This should be the third connection from the card (I have also a monitor connected via DVI). Googling it seems that I should buy an active adapter, not a passive one for this setup, but it will surely cost less than the splitter. Thank you.

gcare

Novice Member
Just to report that I got a passive Display port -> HDMI adapter (for few euros) and it works perfectly with my GTX 970: now I am able to send just HD audio to my AV amplifier through it, while the HDMI sends the movie to the TV and the DVI monitor continues to work perfectly.
Thank you! :clap:

Trending threads

Top Bottom