Question HDMI ARC to 5.1 surround converter?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Todd2840, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Todd2840

Todd2840
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie here. We just moved into a home that has 5.1 surround speakers pre-wired and installed into the walls of the living room. I have a TCL Roku 4K TV that has both HDMI ARC and optical audio out. I’d rather not buy a receiver if I don’t have to and I run my peripherals through my TV anyway. Is there some sort of converter available where I could wire the speakers in on one end and then plug into the HDMI ARC outlet or optical out on the other? I’d like it to simply be TV—>?—>surround speakers Thanks.

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    You need a multi-channel amplifier and decoder - so that's basically an AV receiver! Yes, it will have more inputs than you need, but its the simplest approach.

A basic receiver is all you need, as the ARC is 5.1 PCM, which any receiver will convert. Maybe a 2nd hand older slim line Marantz model? Here's one I found. Marantz NR1403 Slim Line 5.1 Home Theater AV Receiver | eBay

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    'Is there some sort of converter available where I could wire the speakers in on one end and then plug into the HDMI ARC outlet or optical out on the other?' - you need the 'Magic Box' Forum for that device :)

As noiseboy72 says you require an AVR - in addition to driving the Loudspeakers they are usually a better 'Hub' for your system vs. the TV if you wish to optimise the audio playback.

Does the installed speaker system include a Floor Standing Subwoofer or an In-wall Sub? If it is the later you may require an AVR plus a separate Sub Amp!.

Do you have details on the installed speaker system and also the size of the room?

Joe

4. slikvik

slikvik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A word of warning that Netflix and Amazon only output Dolby Digital PLUS or stereo PCM. Not all AVRs support DD+ via ARC and you'll just get a horrid helicopter sound instead!

I have an LG OLED and a Marantz NR1402 and experience this, meaning only Stereo sound for me when streaming, plus having to go into settings on the TV every time I want DD from one of my BluRay rips.