HDMI Arc split or use optical

davidjill2018

Novice Member
Hi All,

New Samsung Q65QN95a TV uses HDMI arc which i will use to connect to Sonos system. However I have a Naim Nova streamer that i use for audio, would like to use this for concerts etc. Should I use optical or can I split/switch HDMI arc to use seperate systems one at a time ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC or eARC will not normally allow you to ‘route’ or toggle the Audio to two ARC enabled sound systems.

Which SONOS device do you have?

Is the TV the ‘Source’ when you are streaming the Concerts?

Joe

davidjill2018

Novice Member
ARC or eARC will not normally allow you to ‘route’ or toggle the Audio to two ARC enabled sound systems.

Which SONOS device do you have?

Is the TV the ‘Source’ when you are streaming the Concerts?

Joe
Hi Joe

I am using Sonos Arc, Sub gen3 and a pair of One SL's for most of TV and movie etc. I have a stand alone Naim Nova Kef Floorstanders that I use for audio. But when streaming Audio concerts via Virgin or from home server I would like to switch to the Naim Kef system rather than Sonos. If I use an HDMI switch assume it needs to be a powered switch rather than a splitter ?

John7

If you don't need HD audio, it would be simpler to use an Optical connection probably....

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘If I use an HDMI switch assume it needs to be a powered switch rather than a splitter ?’ - all HDMI Switch, Distribution or Extender devices should be powered or at a minimum offer you the option to add a PSU.

Your requirement gets tricky due to the SONOS ARC Soundbar, it has an ‘HDMI’ socket which will only work if it is connected to an eARC or ARC Output from a TV (or suitable device which mimics an eARC/ARC TV such as the HDFury Arcana).

Can you outline all of your devices and how they are currently configured?

Your potential solution is the HDFury Vertex3 (VRRoom) if you can be patient until it is released, or the Vertex2 + Arcana (which you can have now), or keep the systems separate an add an additional streaming device or ditch HDMI and use Optical Out from the TV to an Optical splitter (costs around £30).

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom