• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI ARC audio problem?

md99

Hi folks, I bought a Philips 37" PFL5405 TV for my Dad yesterday and have noticed that when the TV reverts to the Sky box after playing a dvd, the sound is very muffled, fuzzy and crackles. (On one occasion whilst watching a DVD there was no sound at all) If I switch the TV off and back on again it returns to normal. Its a random thing, doesn't happen every time.

I did have a cheap HDMI splitter box in there so I removed that and assigned the DVD and Blu Ray players seperate hdmi inputs hoping that would be the end of it. Alas it wasn't and my Dad informed me that he noticed the problem again this morning. I've just been to his place, had a look at the TV manual and realized that the HDMI 1 input the dvd player is plugged into is a HDMI 1.4 ARC input whilst the cable coming from the dvd player is a cheap 1.3 cable. Is this likely to be the cause of the problem? I've turned off ARC settings on the TV and will track down a 1.4 cable for him.

Should that be the end of it or am I going to have to get on the phone to the retailers? :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom