1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI and vertical resolutions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ColRuby, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ColRuby

ColRuby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    going to buy a 42" plasma soon...

I understand that HDMI/TV support is very important. However there are some plasma's that have 1024x1024 resolution and some that have 1024x768 resolution. Will a screen with 1024 vertical display better HDMI signals than one with 768? Or will both only show up with the same 720P HDMI? And also what about displaying 1080i HDMI?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This old can of worms again! The 1024 x 1024 screens work in a different way to all the others, reminds me of a scene in Blackadder, with Tom Baker as Capn Redbeard. They all will display both these signals by scaling, except the Hitachi, Sony etc 1024 panels display 1080 buy displaying 1024 lines of it with no scaling, and chucking the rest down the pan. This of course is the edges of the picture (All 4 edges so as not to lose the aspect ratio) so maybe less important information, but I think this is stupid myself. 1024 x 1024 picture is a matter of taste, I wouldn't say that high resolution automatically means better pictures. Do a search for ALIS see the screens, make up your own mind. The 1080i is not necessarily a killer, sky are likely going to be 720p, likewise blu ray, so unless you are a big fan of wet t shirt contests and the like which sems to be shown on euro hi def, you may not need this.

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having not delved too far into this particular can of worms, it does seem a bit weird that there are no 720 or 1080 resolution screens. My LCD computer monitor is only happy at 1 to 1 resolution - the moment you scale it the picture is crap. So why do TV manufacturers do it differently?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Generally, LCD monitors don't have, or have very poor, scalers hence the reason the picture looks crap if you use anything other than the native resolution.

Scalers in plasmas do a better job and an external scaler will do an even better job so, for the most part, the resolution of the screen doesn't necessarily equate to a good picture unless you get 1:1 pixel mapping something that's not, AFAIK, available on any plasma (at least not 1920*1080) at the moment.

John