1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI and Surround Sound?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dbedgood, Apr 20, 2005.

1. dbedgood

dbedgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If you had a LCD TV with HDMI connection and you also had a DVD player with HDMI output, how would that then go through a surround sound amp so you have surround sound when watching DVD's? I know HDMI carries audio and visual digital signal but I can't figure how that signal would then run through the amp and speakers instead of just the TV speakers?

2. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can see various ways of doing this having pondered it a bit myself when trying to buy a new system using HDMI as much as possible.

1. Ignore the HDMI aspect altogether for sound and take off a 5.1 type feed (optical/digital,6channel) from the DVD that is routed entirely separately to any one of the many good and reasonably priced amps on the market that do not yet have HDMI.

2. This is just option 1 with an HDMI switch box to switch more than one HDMI video source (this is what I am doing with a Denon amp and a Gefen switcher).

3. If you decide you will only use one HDMI source then you could use an affordable amp like the Panasonic SAXR70 that has one HDMI in and one out and this amp will sit naturally between your DVD and telly. This amp exists and is in stores NOW but I have not seen a review of its audio quality.

4. If you want to go all HDMI and allow for lots of switching then pay 4000 for the flash new DENON A1XV amp or one of its brethren. Or wait a little bit and pay £2500 for the A11XV...

5. Wait for the mythical Philips DFR9000 that has supposedly got 2 HDMI ins and one out that will allow a small amount of switching and is about £400, if it does actually appear.

6. Buy a really cheap amp now, do option 1 now and wait a year for really good HDMI-switching amps to appear for sensible money.

After badgering Denon about when they would do HDMI switching for sensible money (no useful answer), giving up on the Philips appearing, not knowing what the sound quality of the Panny is like, I opted for option 2.

3. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well, you can either have a surround amp with HDMI switching, but there are not too many around at this point in time. This would allow you to transport the sound via HDMI. Alternatively, you can simply use the DVD player's digital output (ideally iLink or coaxial or optical) for the sound and the HDMI only for video. You'd have to switch off your TV speakers as they would receive the HDMI sound signal at the same time as your amp.

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    i have an hdmi amp it has 1 hdmi in and 1 hdmi out,i connect my hdmi dvd player to the amp then the amp to the tv there is no loss in picture as ive connected the dvd player straight to the tv :thumbsup:

5. dbedgood

dbedgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I would have to use the digital audio output from the DVD player and attach that to the Amp (heard though that this option is still analogue?). Or wait until next year for when most of the amps will be debuting HDMI ins and outs.

6. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not sure where you heard that from but the only way for your receiver to decode a multi channel signal is if it's in digital form. Your player will have at least an optical digital out, probably also an iLink (better) or a coaxial digital. Just don't use the analog outputs (L and R) as they will not transport a multi channel signal.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    dbedgood

To further complicate your musings keep in mind a lot of HDMI equipped kit is currently HDMI 'Video' Only - so whilst there's an HDMI socket on the kit not all of them transmit or receive the multi channel Audio.

HDMI as a 'single' cable solution falls apart unless you have a Display that combines the picture and multi channel sound output in one box - for most folk HDMI will be a Video Interconnect to a TV or Projector and Multichannel audio will continue to be fed as a 'Digital' signal down a Coaxial or Optical cable to a suitable AV Receiver.

Best regards

Joe

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its impossible for HDMI to be a single cable solution. You would need at least 2 cables to conect from the player to the amp then from the amp to the display.
    Its stupid and wont work.

There are hardly any amps out there as well as players that support HDMI sound.

Its better at this point to use coaxial or optical for sound, and component or HDMI/DVi-D for picture.

Thats what i do whith my denon 3910.

Theres no real reason to use HDMI for sound yet anyway. Not untill we see a hi def format like blu ray or hd dvd and next gen amplifiers with next gen decoders.

These new formats should use hi def sound and should use more than 5.1 at a higher bit rate.

Once this is a reality then we will need a bigger cable that can transfer the bigger signal.

Coaxial and optical do have their limits, thats when fire wire or HDMI will come in to play. For the moment its pointles as they are unecesary.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    AML

Not quite true - and certainly not true once the manufacturers get their teeth properly into HDMI and product convergence.

For example a Pioneer DV-668AV (DVD player) + Pioneer PDP-435XDE (PlasmaTV) + Pioneer SW90S (Sub).

I can stick an HDMI cable between the DVD and the TV and have Pictures + Stereo Audio with spatial sound on the TV + Line out to the sub (from the TV) with no additional cables between the DVD and the TV.

Best regards

Joe