Question HDMI and Sony potential compatibility issues

PeerF

Novice Member
I know I am a novice but really don't understand following HDMI issue, and I hope some can guide me.
Sorry for the long mail.

I have following setup, all running latest SW and connected with highspeed HDMI cables.
Sources/Input:
A) AppleTV 4K;
B) IPtv MAG420;
C) LG Blueray FullHD DVD

All connected to AV Controller:
D) Sony STR-DN1080 (double HDMI output)

TVs/Output:
E) Samsung Q85R HDMI connected
F) Edision HDMI Modulator with coax connected TVs in the house

Here is what works:
- Apple, MAG420, DVD through Sony to Samsung.
- DVD through Sony and simultaneously to Samsung(HDMI) and Edision(F) and the connected TVs

Here is what doesn’t work:
- Apple or MAG420 through Sony to Edision(F) and the connected TVs. The Edision Signal indicator is ON but the TVs all are black after startup finished.

Her are some tests I have been running:
  • One at the time connected Apple or MAG420 or DVD directly to Edision(F) is working fine.(Bypass Sony).
  • Tested all HDMI highspeed cables without any issues.
  • If I connect the Edision to Sony’s HDMI ERC port I get an error on the Edison connected TVs: ‘The content cannot be displayed. To display, please connect with the HDMI input which supports HDCP 2.2 on the TV.’ I think the error comes from Edision. Changing the devices Apple and MAG420 to display-output to 1080 make no change.
I know I am an novice in this area but I am simply not understanding it should be an issue with all new devices from 2019 and 2020. I can only think it is a compatibility issue with the Sony, but really don’t know.

I would appreciate if any could give me an advice.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The modulator isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant and neither can it handle UHD video. The ATV and your IPtv MAG420 are both 4K UHD devices that would require HDCP 2.2 compliance. You'd also not be able to use the modulator in association with video signals that exceed its own capabilities.

PeerF

Novice Member
The modulator isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant and neither can it handle UHD video. The ATV and your IPtv MAG420 are both 4K UHD devices that would require HDCP 2.2 compliance. You'd also not be able to use the modulator in association with video signals that exceed its own capabilities.
Understand, but how can the modulator then work if I connect Apple and MAG420 directly to the modulator - bypassing the Sony - and the signal send to TVs attached to the modulator without issues.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Many devices appear to experience issues with HDCP 2.2 if an AV receiver is introduced into the HDMI chain. It is a common issue with many STB TV boxes. THey'd happily connect straight to a non HDCP 2.2 compliant TV, but through a wobbly as siin as you try passing the HDMI signal through an AV receiver prior to said same device or TV.

PeerF

Novice Member
Many devices appear to experience issues with HDCP 2.2 if an AV receiver is introduced into the HDMI chain. It is a common issue with many STB TV boxes. THey'd happily connect straight to a non HDCP 2.2 compliant TV, but through a wobbly as siin as you try passing the HDMI signal through an AV receiver prior to said same device or TV.
I sounds right, at least it explains the issue even I think it is crazy. I now need to rethink the whole setup with the Sony-AV in the middle and splitting the HDMI signal. If I connect all input devices directly to the Samsung I could send the sound via Optic cable from Samsung to Sony, but need to find out how I get the signals to the Edison modulator. At least the MAG420 signal needs to distributed via the modulator and at the same time to the Samsung.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd approach it differently and would look at using an HDMI matrix prior to the AV receiver. This can then be used to split your sources between the AVR and the modulator.

PeerF

Novice Member
I'd approach it differently and would look at using an HDMI matrix prior to the AV receiver. This can then be used to split your sources between the AVR and the modulator.
Ok, thanks. I followed your advice and connected a UltaHD HDMI splitter. It is working with the exception that all is now running 2K as the splitter separate signals to the lowest resolution. It is not going to be perfect before I find a modulator which can receive input from 4K.
But it is working - thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom