1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI and SACD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gary_W, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

I'll be in the market for a new receiver soon, and am looking at the Denon 3806 plus others.

I like the idea of the Audysey EQ on this model as I have really bad room gain problems and a one box solution would be nice.

I would like to use SACD with a new receiver and am wondering about the player I would need to go with the 3806. As the 3806 only does Denon Link and not iLink, it looks like I'd have to spend another £800 at least on a Denon player to experience SACD over a digital link. Unfortunate, as I'm sure there are capable players out there for less with iLink.

As the 3806 has HDMI, can I just use that from a suitably equiped HDMI DVD player? I have noticed that http://www.hdmi.org/ say that HDMI 1.2 has been released. The Denon manual for the 3806 shows HDMI 1.1, so is this compatible with SACD and is it of equivalent quality to either iLink or Denon Link?

Whilst I don't mind spending £800 - £1000 on a new receiver with multichannel inputs and HDMI, I am reluctant to spend that kind of cash on a DVD player at the moment with HD-DVD round the corner, so a Samsung HD945 or similar with SACD playback and HDMI for <£200 would be my thoughts at this stage.

Thanks

Gary

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    to be honest, when you buy a DVD player like the 3910, its astounding on all counts.....CD, DVD-A/SACD, DVD-V, etc......sound and picture is amazing....in my mind its worth the premium.......especially if you have a good amp like the 380x series.....

for me i would like a 3805/06 because of the denonlink, that way i could have my computer rigged up to my external inputs permanently, instead of keep unplugging it when i want to listen to DVD-A/SACD....lol

im not sure which would sound better tho, DVD-A/SACD thru denonlink or the current 6 channel setup..........it sounds heavenly thru the 6 channel, oh well, after blowing a tidy sum on a 7205 projector, i think im going to be without denonlink for some time to come...lol

3. wingnut1

wingnut1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am under the assumption that HDMI 1.1 is compatible with SACD and DVD-A, However i have been informed that HDMI 1.0 is not and the 1.1 was an upgrade to support these formats. I have the Marantz SR9600 amp with HDMI 1.1 and am waiting for delivery of the Marantz DV9600 Player so until i get it up and running i don't know how these formats will work through HDMI 1.1. I should take delivery in the next week or two and when i have tested it i can let you know the outcome.

4. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    OK, thanks. I'll be interested to know.

Gary

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
  6. RSD123

RSD123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'd rather spend the money on a dvd universal player with HDMI (like the dvd-2910 and 3910) than a reciever that just has HDMI switching.

7. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for this.

Is it likely that a software upgrade will allow HDMI 1.2 or is it a harware matter? The 3806 (not even released yet) only does 1.1 according to its manual.

RSD123 - The receiver doesn't just do switching; it will take the audio from the HDMI input and process it. The DVD player mentioned (a lowish end Samsung) actually IS a universal player with HDMI output but no iLink so that was really the whole reason for my question.

Gary

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only other options are yammaha RXV4600 and pioneers vsxax4ai at about a grand each, however neither have the denons ability to convert up to hdmi from analogue inputs, but both have i-link!