HDMI and RF interference?

Vendee33

Standard Member
I've got a Sony XH90 TV which I've had for about a year and I run a Marantz SR6008 receiver which I've had for a few years now. Since I got the TV, I have experienced momentary sound drop outs (about a second) when playing through the receiver. This only happened when the source was the TV. The DVD player is great through the receiver via an admittedly shorter HDMI cable. I never managed to fix this issue and have lived with it.

Last week though while watching TV in the lounge, my wife went into the kitchen and when she switched the lights on (x8 LED downlighters) the sound cut out momentarily from the TV/receiver. I can now repeat this 9 times out of ten. Sometimes the sound cuts out when the lights are switched on and sometimes when the lights are switched off.

I've googled a bit and I'm thinking this could be RF interference and I'm thinking its acting on the HDMI cable from the TV to receiver. Does this sound likely? Its not a really cheap cable and I have already replaced it as part of my fault finding for the original sound drop outs. I'm now also wondering if my original sound drop outs are being caused by the fridge or freezer kicking starting up in the other rooms? Any advice on confirming or disproving my theory and recommendations for a shielded cable? Thanks.

larkone

Had problems with bad power supplies in LED lights - mine caused my b/band to drop out because of the spike on the mains. It could also be a poor connection on the light circuit - get an electrician to check your electrics before you tear you hair chasing down other possibilities.

Vendee33

Standard Member
Had problems with bad power supplies in LED lights - mine caused my b/band to drop out because of the spike on the mains. It could also be a poor connection on the light circuit - get an electrician to check your electrics before you tear you hair chasing down other possibilities.
I'm not sure its a power spike. The lighting is on a separate circuit from the power sockets. The lighting was installed 10 years ago although the GU10 halogen bulbs were only replaced with LED bulbs a couple of years ago.. Last year we had a new fuseboard fitted for the house and on completion, the whole wiring system was tested without issues.

From what I'm reading, LED lighting can cause RF (radio) interference so not interference through the electrical circuit itself. I've just read about a way to check for RF interference using an AM radio. I might give that a try but I won't completely rule out the possibility of a power spike in the supply.

Vendee33

Standard Member
Hmmm.... thinking about it further, the fact that the dropouts can occur when the lights are switched on and off does point more to a power spike than RF interference..... I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom