HDMI and Optical Sound cable

martininnes

Standard Member
Hi all -

I have a lot of newest Sony kit just delivered.

The home cinema system has an option to connect Blu Ray DVD Sky via HDMI - which I will of course.

The Blu RAY BDP-S350 that connects to the Cinema HT-IS100 system has digital optical connections.

Q is - I am going to connect Blu ray and DVD and Sky HD through the cinema system and output to my T/V via one HDMI out (to Sony Bravia).

Do I also need to connect optical sound cables as well ( I realise I will need to do this for Sky). But, do I need to connect optical cables for the DVD and Blu Ray to the cinema system or is the full 5.1 or sound signals carried via HDMI.

Martin

ukjock

I would imagine it would all carry through via the HDMI seeing how you get 5.1 out of optical but 7.1 out of HDMI.

So I would believe that HDMI will carry your audio signals as well.

Is there anything about it in the manual?

hardeepr

Novice Member
You will only need to connect the BDP-350 via HDMI. (The players optical connections are useful if your Amp doesn't accept LPCM - yours does.)

As for the DVD it may bitstream audio via HDMI or not. If it does then the HDMI cable will suffice - if not then an optical connection will be needed as well. You'll have to check the manual.

Finally the HTIS100 does not decode any HD audio formats so you will have to set your Blu-ray player to decode audio onboard. It will then send out the decoded signal as LPCM - which the HTIS100 can deal with. Also the BDP-350 cannot decode DTS-MA - TrueHD is OK. However it will either decode the "core" DTS-MA signal leaving you with plain vanilla DTS or it will bitstream the core DTS signal which your receiver can decode. (Remember this means you will have to swap from bitstreaming or decoding onboard depending on whether you using TrueHD or DTS-MA audio.)

(Personally I would connect SkyHD directly to the TV if you have an enough HDMI sockets. Connect the optical from the SkyHD box to the home cinema that way you don't have to turn on the HT to watch Sky but it's available for films and other programmes that have Dolby Digital 5.1 - it's how my setup is connected.)

Last edited by a moderator:

martininnes

Standard Member
Hardeep -

Many Many thanks for a very detailed response.

I am going to take your advice.

Just need to digest the coding issues for the Blu Ray and set for optimum.

Cheers

Martin

twitch1

Standard Member
Hello iam new to this thread, i have just purchased the HTIS100 and S350 and have been unable to get 5.1 from the blu-ray. I can get 5.1 from the DVD. I have the current set up.

Sky+ = optical into HTIS100 and SCART into TV
Blu-ray = HDMI into TV and optical into HTIS100

When i use this method above on the HTIS100 it does state that it is getting DTS 5.1 on the display but no sound from surround speakers when playing a blu-ray.

I have tried all different methods of trying to get 5.1, including using the HDMI cable form blu-ray into HTIS100 and then into TV but still the same problem. The blu-ray i am using states it is DTS-MA only. Can anyone give me a list of how i should connect and what changes i need to make on the s350. As someone new to this i cannot understand how sony put together a package which goes not have clear instructions for getting 5.1. Thanks, this is driving me mad.

Hardeep -

Many Many thanks for a very detailed response.

I am going to take your advice.

Just need to digest the coding issues for the Blu Ray and set for optimum.

Cheers

Martin

If its not to late to return the 350, I believe (but please check) the new 360 would eliminate the coding issues as I think it does DTS-MA too.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom