HDMI and Optical AV Switch Advice Please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by richardjackson0, Nov 27, 2010.

1. richardjackson0

richardjackson0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got the following kit:

- Sky+ HD (HDMI video & optical sound)
    - PS3 (HDMI video & optical sound)
    - XBox 360 (Component & optical sound)

I'm currently connecting the HDMI through to my LG TV directly, muting the TV and running the opticals through a JoyTech switch to my Logitech Z-5500.

What I want to do is to get 1 switch that will let me take all these inputs together and output the sound via an optical cable to the Logitech and the video via an HDMI cable to the TV so that I can select my source in just 1 hit instead of having to select the video and audio separately.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Get an Xbox360 with HDMI out!

A decent quality ‘switch’ that also converts analogue HD to digital HD will cost you 600.00 GBP - Anchor Bay » DVDO Edge

You can use an analogue HD to digital HD converter in front of your current switch for around 150.00 GBP – though you may lose a bit of resolution/quality with a low cost converter plus you then likely have to re-scale the image in the Display!

Joe

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,381
    How about a Harmony remote or similar, no probs then if everything needs switching separately as the remote handles it

4. richardjackson0

richardjackson0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Cheers for the response. Yeah an HDMI xbox would be lovely but a bit difficult to justify the outlay for the sake of HDMI! Harmony remote a good idea for not a vast amount - thanks.

Just out of interest my LG PC501D has a digital optical out. Could I bypass my need for a switch entirely by sending audio from the PS3 and the Sky HD box via HDMI and using the optical out from the TV direct to my amp? That way I wouldn't need to split the audio and video. Xbox could just use standard red and white into the TV and use TV volume or stereo on the optical out to the amp...

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    HDMI audio is a tricky subject!

TV’s with Optical Out mostly only support HDMI + 2.0 LPCM (stereo ) audio input over HDMI so only then output 2.0 (stereo) audio on the Optical Output.

Whilst a PS3 can Output Video + 5.1 Bitstream or LPCM over HDMI a SKY+ HD box can only Output Video + 2.0 LPCM (stereo) audio over HDMI – SKY only Outputs 5.1 DD via its Optical port.

Can’t work out from your LG link what size TV you have – connecting the Xbox using the Composite (Yellow) + Red/White (Stereo) RCA connector’s may be OK on a small screen but a bit painful to view on anything over 26”!!!

Joe

6. richardjackson0

richardjackson0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey - thanks.

It's a 50" plasma so yeah! I was thinking the component for the video and the red/white for the audio.

However, I did the decent thing and tried the digi out to the Logitech and it only passed stereo as you say so I'll lose my surround on the PS3 and Sky HD which would be daft.

Crazy that TVs don't just 'forward' the 5.1 channeling to a compatible device through the optical out jack but I guess that's a bit of a layman's comment ;-)

Cheers anyway.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Most TV’s won’t support 5.1 LPCM or Bitstream as an Input via HDMI so as you say will only ever output 2.0.

Some new Displays will accepted 5.1 DD/DTS (and even HD audio) via HDMI but again not all of those will then output it as 5.1 via Optical and instead process the audio within the TV to 2.0.

Joe