HDMI and HDBaseT Hybrid Matrix

stevenjonas

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am going to have 3 x HDMI inputs (BT You View, satellite receiver & Blue Ray player) & 2 x TVs, both some distance from the sources. each TV is in a different room. My research suggests that I need an HDMI and HDBaseT Hybrid Matrix. It is an RJ-45 based system but only requires 1 x Cat6 cable from the matrix to each TV. These units can cost thousands of pounds, which I cannot afford. HD do one (4x2 HDBaseT Hybrid Matrix - HDMI and HDBaseT Matrix with Advanced Discrete IR Function and PoE & Octava are about to bring out a new one (Octava 4x2 HDMI Matrix over cat 6. Switch and extend 4 HD video sources to any 3 HD displays, 16 combinations. EDID Management with USB port and RS-232 serial port control. 3D support, Full 1080P. although theirs is expected to be half as much again as the HD one.

The great thing about a matrix is that it allows 1 source to be watched on 1 TV, whilst watching another source on another TV.

Once again I am completely outside my comfort zone. I would welcome any advice going.

The first unit you link to only has a single 'extended' Output (1x RJ45) and utilises HDMI to a 'local' TV.

It sounds like you require two extended Outputs along with Routed IR from both Zones.

Ensure both TV's support the same range of video/audio formats to save any messing about with Source signals or having to 'limit' Output format of the Source to suit a lesser quality display.

Any plans for an AVR on the system?

Joe

Joe,
Very helpful, thanks.
1. The HD Connectivity ltd. one appears to have one RJ-45 specifically designated for TV & 2 designated for LANs. It also appears to have an HDMI out too. It seems to me that it is likely that this type of unit is going to be used near one TV (e.g. in the lounge) & some distance from another (e.g. in the kitchen or in a bedroom). Being a 'matrix' unit, it should allow for one source to be watched in one room & another source to be watched in another room.
2. What was wrong with the Octava HD42CA TMX that caused it to be discontinued?
3. Are their any unused ones about that can be bought?
4. Please excuse my ignorance but what is 'an AVR on the system'?

'one RJ-45 specifically designated for TV & 2 designated for LANs' - agreed, the problem for you with that configuration is both of your Displays are 'remote' from the Sources/HDMI Matrix so how would you control the kit from the HDMI 'Only' Zone.

'What was wrong with the Octava HD42CA TMX that caused it to be discontinued?' - nothing, I wish we had lots of them as having a pause whilst we wait on the HDBT version is a pain! The market is moving to single wire HDBT so we reached a point where we had to either order another gazillion dual CAT chassis or make the move to HDBT. We went with the latter.

'Are their any unused ones about that can be bought?' - not that I am aware of.

AV Receiver (AVR) - my fault for assuming everyone knows the geeky acronyms :D

Joe

What is your actual budget, a HDBaset matrix is likely to be over £1000 but not multiple £1000's.

We are looking to change our HDBaset Matrix so you can purchase with just the number of HDbaset Receivers required rather than the standard number. ie our 4x4 matrix at the moment comes as standard with 4 receivers at £1299+VAT, I believe we could offer this at £1149+VAT with 3 receivers.

Professional 4x4 HDBaseT Matrix with 4 Receivers - Lite Version

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom