1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI and DVI, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Paul101, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Paul101

Paul101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, I know they are different connections but I think Ive been confused :confused: into thinking that DVI doesn't carry the audio signal?

Or is it just that HDMI carries multi-channel audio as well.

I sound like the old "SOAP" sitcom " confused, you will be"!

:rolleyes:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Paul101

DVI connectors come in various forms - these include DVI-D (Digital Video) and DVI-I (Digital or Analogue Video).

In all forms DVI is a video interconnect only - no audio.

HDMI has the ability to carry Digital Video plus Two or more channels of audio information.

You can connect a DVI source with an HDMI Display and get Digital Video connectivity and you can connect an HDMI source to a DVI Display to get Digital video connectivity; though you do have to ensure your source and display are outputting compatible signals and where the source is HDMI the DVI Display has to be HDCP compliant to play back any copyrighted discs.

Best regards

Joe

3. Paul101

Paul101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As I thought, so how do you carry the audio from source to the HD display?

Is it a bit like component where the stereo audio is seperate?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Paul101

If a DVI equipped Display has sound (many don't) then usually there is a Stereo Audio Input that's 'attached' to the DVI Input.

If the Display is HDMI then you may have a problem if there is no provision for Inputting a Stereo Audio signal alongside the Digital video signal.

All of the this can and does vary from Display to Display - its nigh on impossible to set out a common 'solution' as every manufacturer seems to do its own thing.

Best regards

Joe

5. Paul101

Paul101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As I thought again, this could be a big problem if I bought a HDMI LCD without seperate audio inputs and then bought an upscaling DVD player with a DVI output. A DVI display would I take it have to have seperate audio inputs next to the DVI, then a HDMI DVD player would need to use it's stereo or digital audio output?

There's gonna be a lot of things to consider before I purchase anything on the HD front.

Anyway, thanks for your help Joe.

Paul

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - I think that this isn't an issue for many here, because they will be using separate home cinema amps to process the digital audio from a DVD player, rather than routing it into a TV.

You are correct that a TV with an HDMI input and no associated separate audio will struggle with sound with a vision-only DVI video input.

It's a bit like a SCART plug only carrying RGB video but no audio...

7. Paul101

Paul101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Then why don't manufacturers all use HDMI that carries everything like scarts? This would keep things simple for all the simple people like me out there :( .

Imagine modern devices made without scarts and only having S-video or composite, what a pain in the a***.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    DVI instead of VGA for those with such ports on their PCs? That way it does both PC and Video with HDCP sensing circuitry. Kill two birds with one stone.
    Personally I'd kill off S-Video input and a non RGB SCART since I don't use a DVC, and having a second SCART stuck on Composite is just plain penny pinching and idiotic. Always provide more than needed, this way the system can grow if new devices are bought later on. So short-sighted this, that it has to be done deliberately to be "fixed" in the replacement model next year or the year after.

9. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if only there were a world with no scarts but infact high quality component connects, like outside europe :D

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Imagine a world where people had to connect at least FIVE identical connectors correctly, and get reduced functionality, like outside Europe...

(SCART may be a mechanically poor connector, but the ability to carry RGB or s-video, two-way composite, two-way stereo audio, aspect ratio switching, status, and data ranks it a lot higher than component)