1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI and DVD-R Backups?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sapkan, Oct 6, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am about to upgrade my system as to take advantage of the better PQ available through HDMI. However, I read somewhere the definition of HDMI and part of it stated that it allows copywrited material to be displyed bla bla bla. As I have many movies which are DVD-R "backups" I was wondering whether I am going to be able to enjoy them through the new connection as I am not entirely sure whether this copy protection is retained during "backup"?! or am I getting the terminology completely messed up? :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Firstly if you have made a backup of a commercial DVD then you would have needed to 'rip' the files as so any copyright has been removed.

Secondly that's not an issue anyway - HDMI simply allows copyright information to be transported to the next device (should it be a recorder) to prevent unauthorised copying.

Thirdly if you have re-encoded your movies to fit them to a DVD-R then they will look worse via HDMI as every MPEG artifact will be reproduced with loving care by your HDMI equipped DVD player!

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    most movies when stripped of their extras fit straight or only need minor shrinking in order to fit onto a single (DVD-R). via RGB scart they look absolutely perfect. In any case you could always split them onto two discs and get 1:1 copy. Also new double layerrecorders are coming out soon ;-)