HDMI and 4K

volksball

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A few questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers on. Here's my setup as it pertains to this question:

Yamaha RX-A760 (supports 4K/Dolby Atmos)
Samsung 4K TV
Bell Fibe 4K box

Currently, I'm splitting my cable signal using an HDMI splitter to two inputs into my receiver. I do this so I can have music (Spotify) and video playing at the same time from one of the inputs. Anyhow, that's not the point...

I have picture and sound coming from all inputs. I have not upgraded my HDMI cables or my HDMI splitter from a few years ago and am wondering if I need to in order to get a 4K signal. It seems to be a good picture, but how does one know if it is the best possible pic? I switch between 4K and non 4K programming and see a subtle difference, but wonder if it could be better.

I know there are two schools of thought here - those who say the HDMI upgrade market is a cash grab and those how believe that it is necessary.

A bit of help please.

Thanks.

If it works, then it is working perfectly. This is the nature of digital signal transmission. you CANNOT get subleties of difference in the visible or audible end result; if it were failing then it would be obvious that it is doing so. You would have sparklies, macro-blocking, or other noticeable artefacts.

If it works, then it is working perfectly. This is the nature of digital signal transmission. you CANNOT get subleties of difference in the visible or audible end result; if it were failing then it would be obvious that it is doing so. You would have sparklies, macro-blocking, or other noticeable artefacts.

Thanks so much for the reply. So, a binary result: on or off?

That said, does that confirm that the market is more fluff than anything? I ask because my HDMI splitter is 6 years old and transmitting what I assume is a 4K signal along with the connected cables.

Yes, pretty much. Let's say, if you need a better cable, then you'd know about it and wouldn't need to ask. And, yes, there is a degree of "fluff" out there. Yes, you need greater bandwidth for 4k vs 2k, and yes, some interconnects, etc., might not carry it. But if yours does, then it does.

4K - is a tricky subject as there are lots of variables which can mean some '4K' signals pass along your signal chain and others may not.

'It seems to be a good picture, but how does one know if it is the best possible pic?' - use the Info button on your TV remote to confirm what signal the TV is actually receiving, that should bring up a on screen banner which will let you know if you are sending 2160p to the TV.

HDMI cables - the longer the cable length the more 'problematic' UHD_ can become with cables. If everything is working (no sparkles, no drop out, no very obvious image issues) then stick with what you have.

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom