HDMI Amp Question

MarkeyG

Standard Member
Hi all,

I am new here and was hoping I could draw on your knowledge. I have a standard Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound Cinema System.

I have a Sky HD box, A PS3 i want to run as well as my dvd player all have HDMI sockets on them.

What I am wanting to do is play my Sky HD box, My PS3 and my dvd all in surround sound.

What do i need in order to do this ? Sorry if its a stupid question but I aint got a clue when it comes down to these things so any help you guys can offer me would be great.

Hope I have explained well enough if not please feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks all in advance, :lease:

MarkeyG

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Do you mean how do you connect them upto your current samsung system or are you looking to replace it?

MarkeyG

Standard Member
Sorry should of stated that my bad, I am looking to use my current system if at all possible ? Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
It would depend on whether you want the full HD audio from Blu-ray discs. There are two types of HDMI equiped AV amps; those with HDMI audio and those that only switch the video signal. The ones without HDMI audio require additional audio connections as well as the HDMI video connection. HD Audio is not compatible with the non HDMI AV amps.

You'll need an AV amp and a 5.1 speaker package to start with. You'll also require cables to attach your components to the AV amp and your amp to your TV. Is your TV HD ready, Full HD or neither?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
We'll need a model number or available connections of your current samsung system and I'll move this to the appropriate forum for you.

Although you may find you need to upgrade, in which case Dante01 advice would apply.

MarkeyG

Standard Member
It would depend on whether you want the full HD audio from Blu-ray discs. There are two types of HDMI equiped AV amps; those with HDMI audio and those that only switch the video signal. The ones without HDMI audio require additional audio connections as well as the HDMI video connection. HD Audio is not compatible with the non HDMI AV amps.

You'll need an AV amp and a 5.1 speaker package to start with. You'll also require cables to attach your components to the AV amp and your amp to your TV. Is your TV HD ready, Full HD or neither?

My TV is a Samsung HD Ready, Well all i want is just 5.1 surround sound like with my dvd but for Sky as well as my PS3 really ?

MarkeyG

Standard Member
We'll need a model number or available connections of your current samsung system and I'll move this to the appropriate forum for you.

Although you may find you need to upgrade, in which case Dante01 advice would apply.

:oops: Sorry was not sure were to leave this post, Its a Samsung Home Cinema System model number HT-TZ215

Thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi all,

I am new here and was hoping I could draw on your knowledge. I have a standard Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound Cinema System.

I have a Sky HD box, A PS3 i want to run as well as my dvd player all have HDMI sockets on them.

What I am wanting to do is play my Sky HD box, My PS3 and my dvd all in surround sound.

What do i need in order to do this ? Sorry if its a stupid question but I aint got a clue when it comes down to these things so any help you guys can offer me would be great.

Hope I have explained well enough if not please feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks all in advance, :lease:

MarkeyG

You have to use the optical spdif on a sky box to get Dolby Digital sound from a Sky box. The hdmi only outputs stereo. you might need to use an optical changeover switch if the surround sound system has only 1 digital input (common on all in ones)

MarkeyG

Standard Member
So just to clarify, What do i need to play my Sky HD box, My Dvd Player and my PS3/Xbox 360. I have a Amp and 5.1 Speakers as above ? All i want is 5.1 DD nothing special really.

I have all the leads that came with the amp etc, Just not 100 percent sure what i need for the PS3 Xbox 360 part ?

Thanks again in advance

MarkeyG :lease:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
you will need 4 optical cables, and an optical switch.
3 cables from kit, to switch, and 1 from switch to surround.
thatll get you surround on the ps3/xbox 360 and skyHD.

optical switch
optical cable

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom