HDMI 5.1 dolby digital to optical cable

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Based on your comments about the reviews is sounds like a dodgy splitter. I assume you get bluray 5.1 using the same optical port on the amp only when bypassing the splitter? Although it seems unlikely, I wondered if your amp could have individual speaker output configurations for each input.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Based on your comments about the reviews is sounds like a dodgy splitter. I assume you get bluray 5.1 using the same optical port on the amp only when bypassing the splitter? Although it seems unlikely, I wondered if your amp could have individual speaker output configurations for each input.
Yes they are all individually set. Sometimes the rear speakers are very quite dependant on the signal so I made sure they were turned right up and got no sound. They do work with my sky box in 5.1 digital through the optical cable and the sky box is connected straight to the amp so with the other devices the splitter is the only other component. I have ordered a different make of splitter altogether to co pare and it says 'Before using the HDMI extractor please set audio format on HDMI Source device to PCM/ LPCM audio format.' Any idea what that is about as I cannot find anything in the settings about this in my Fire TV Stick ? Cheers

I don't think a Firestick gives options like that. I think my one only has DD, DD+ or stereo to choose from as far as sound output goes but then it is an old model.

Which splitter did you order? I may be wrong but I was under the impression PCM would only do 2 channel over optical.

I don't think a Firestick gives options like that. I think my one only has DD, DD+ or stereo to choose from as far as sound output goes but then it is an old model.

Which splitter did you order? I may be wrong but I was under the impression PCM would only do 2 channel over optical.
I have been reading about as you might guess and yes PCM can be 2 channel unless it is packed with more than that but largely it is two channel. Got Netflix back and tired it. It registers Dolby Digital on my amp but again the two rear speakers do not work. If you slect Best Available' from the signal it must go to a Digital playback if it is a digital broadcast as again the 2 rear speakers do not work. If you set it to stereo however you can use the amp systems to produce 5.1 which is not the same. So a trade off really, better sound with 3 way or fuller sound with 5 way. I have netflix on my TV so that works with the direct connection to the Amp in 5.1. Just Amazon I guess the problem and any other future channels. I will try the new one I have ordered but I suspect that true 5.1 from HDMI to Optical may be quite elusive... Unless I am picking the wrong splitters. They all seem to suggest that they do it though including the one I have ordered.

HDMI Audio Extractor 4K@30Hz Separator Digital HDMI Optical Toslink/SPDIF + Analog 3.5mm Stereo Audio Splitter for Blu-ray DVD Player SKY HD PS3 PS4 HDTV Projector Monitor​

Brand: Yukidoke

Price:£16.59
Note: This item is eligible for FREE click and collect without a minimum order. Details

Colour Name: Black

The link won't work on Amazon so I have pasted in the details. Maybe I have made a mistake on this one I am not sure
  • 4K HDMI Audio Extractor: It converts 4K HDMI digital signals to 4K HDMI Display/ Monitor/ TV. Audio and video can be output simultaneously. You could enjoy movies with your family on a bigger screen and Professional speaker, or making a vivid presenting in a event/ meeting. DO NOT support astro headseat.
  • 3 Audio EDID Settings:Support 3 modes of EDID Setting-Pass, 5.1CH and 2CH. The RCA output (Using the 3.5mm to RCA Cable) Supports 2CH PCM While The SPDIF output Supports 2CH PCM, 5.1CH and DTS Audio. When transmitting data signals, please connect the SPDIF interface.
  • 4K@30Hz Resolution And High Quality Audio:This HDMI Audio Splitter support resolution up to 4K@30Hz and backwards compatible with 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576i, 480p, 480i. Support digital audio format 2CH PCM, 5.1CH Dolby Digital, DTS.
  • Wide Compatibility:The HDMI audio extractor works with Blu-ray/ DVD/ HD player, Amazon Fire TV, PS3, PS4, PC, laptop, HD camera. And PS4 Pro, PS Slim, PS5 do not support 4k@60hz resolution, so when one of those devices is the signal source, please adjust the resolution to 1080p. Do Not Support Apple TV4、Chromecast、Chromecast Ultra、Blu-ray VCR.
  • Easy To Use:No drivers are required. Using HDMI cables and included USB charging cable to connect your source device and TV. Before using the hdmi extractor please set audio format on HDMI Source device to PCM/ LPCM audio format.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well if this one does what it says on the tin then you should be fine. I can't see anything in the write up to suggest it might not. Let us know how you get on.

Well if this one does what it says on the tin then you should be fine. I can't see anything in the write up to suggest it might not. Let us know how you get on.
Will do but based on what you said I just switched the fire tv stick to stereo which is 2 way and i guess therefore the only true PCM setting and it works on al speakers but does not register as digital and the sound is pretty good but not the same clarit as Dolby Digital. I begin to suspect this is what people get but do not know it !

Will do but based on what you said I just switched the fire tv stick to stereo which is 2 way and i guess therefore the only true PCM setting and it works on al speakers but does not register as digital and the sound is pretty good but not the same clarit as Dolby Digital. I begin to suspect this is what people get but do not know it !

Any AVR can put out multi channel sound from a 2 channel input (using PL ii or all kinds of other faux surround processing modes) but my processor was definitely getting DD 5.1 over optical as the original pic I posted shows. It's impossible to make DD 5.1 to show on my processors LCD display unless that's the signal it's receiving as it autoswitches to PLII if no DD 5.1 is available.

My new splitter is apparently in transit so when it arrives and I'm pulling things apart again, I'll pop my firestick back in and make sure all my amps are on this time, just to confirm I'm getting true DD 5.1. Hopefully you will have got yours up and running by then anyway!

Any AVR can put out multi channel sound from a 2 channel input (using PL ii or all kinds of other faux surround processing modes) but my processor was definitely getting DD 5.1 over optical as the original pic I posted shows. It's impossible to make DD 5.1 to show on my processors LCD display unless that's the signal it's receiving as it autoswitches to PLII if no DD 5.1 is available.

My new splitter is apparently in transit so when it arrives and I'm pulling things apart again, I'll pop my firestick back in and make sure all my amps are on this time, just to confirm I'm getting true DD 5.1. Hopefully you will have got yours up and running by then anyway!
Yes, my amp showed Dolby Digital on the panel and another time DTS but rear speakers did not fire. It did not show 5.1 like your amp though but saying that my TV through optical for sure does 5.1 but the amp always reads Dolby Digital or DTS signal. Maybe you are right and a problem with the splitter. The new one comes today... Keep you posted

OK. It is a story and a half. I got the second Splitter and it did not work, did not even show Dolby Digital on my Amp. This got me thinking and I put the netflix app on my TV and connected again through optical to the amp. Amp showed Dolby Digital and working fine with excellent sound. Something Timmy said about checking the surround speakers which I did and blow me down they were not working with Dolby Digital, the same problem with the Amazon Basic Splitter. So the time has come to get the Amp manual out which has 95 pages and much to complex for me even though I have always been into hi fi and surround etc. It is a 5 star Yamaha from 10 years ago and hence no HDMI input. I discover on reading that it has connections for 5 pairs of speaker and a subwoofer. The baffle to me has been that the rear speakers work with the different pseudo settings on a 2 way signal but not with Dolby Digital, therefore they are clearly wired up. So I drag the whole system table out to take a look at the back in conjunction with the book. You will have to excuse my ignorance but I discovered that there are 2 sets of surrounds as well as presence connections. My connections are to the back surrounds but there also seem to be another set of speakers for surround left and right. With a last ditch attempt I reconnect to the other surround speakers and try it again. Now the centre speaker does not work nor the rear. Turned out I had dislodged a wire on the centre so i put it back and it was ok again. So here we go. All speakers work through the pseudo surround, now for the dobly digital test from amazon. Did not work ! No rear speakers. At this point close to tears and requiring a drink a pushed the 30 kilogram table back into position and cut my finger in the process. Luckily I always keep a set of plasters in the cupboard and the mess was not too bad. I sat down looking at the TV and the Hi-fi feeling a bit sorry with no one to share the failure with. Then a little light came on and I remembered something. In my desperation with the Amazon Basic Splitter I remembered trying to get the Dolby Digital by switching the Amazon Fire Stick to stereo, I know desperate but this is hi fi. With total surety of failure I went back into the Fire Stick sound menu with the absolute certainty that there would make no difference and changed the setting to best surround available. Then I put on Vikings on Prime and the picture stuttered along with the sound. You know what they say, if all else fails reboot, so i rebooted the fire stick and tried again. Low and behold it happened, 5.1 digital sound, even works with dolby digital plus. Just wanted to share this as let's be honest it is a real hi-fi tv story that many of us have gone through and we do not always succeed, but this time it worked. And now I can vouch for the fact that you can translate 5.1 on HDMI to 5.1 on Optical. Need to see the doctor though about my finger and my broken back ! Cheers and thanks for reading Timmy and Joe :)

Great news! I feel your pain though. Many a time I have pulled my entire kit apart to try and make it do something only to find I was no better off four hours later and wanted to cry! My new splitter arrived yesterday (another Gefen) only this one doesn't seem to be giving me the picture flicker I was getting from the old one. No optical out on it though so today I will be pulling things apart again to try and get it working in conjunction with one of the older ones, so I can have both a solid picture and 5.1 optical. Doesn't sound like much to ask but no doubt I'll be pulling out what's left of my hair at some point!

Great news! I feel your pain though. Many a time I have pulled my entire kit apart to try and make it do something only to find I was no better off four hours later and wanted to cry! My new splitter arrived yesterday (another Gefen) only this one doesn't seem to be giving me the picture flicker I was getting from the old one. No optical out on it though so today I will be pulling things apart again to try and get it working in conjunction with one of the older ones, so I can have both a solid picture and 5.1 optical. Doesn't sound like much to ask but no doubt I'll be pulling out what's left of my hair at some point!
Timmy I have the other Splitter I bought that I feel guilty about sending back because it was my fault rather than their fault that it did not work. It has a Optical Output. I understand we are all anonymous here but if you want it I an happy to send it to you free of charge for helping me through the Dolby Digital challenge. If you want it let me know your address and I will send it to you. Just put a movie on and still I do not trust it will work but it does !

Timmy I have the other Splitter I bought that I feel guilty about sending back because it was my fault rather than their fault that it did not work. It has a Optical Output. I understand we are all anonymous here but if you want it I an happy to send it to you free of charge for helping me through the Dolby Digital challenge. If you want it let me know your address and I will send it to you. Just put a movie on and still I do not trust it will work but it does !

That very kind of you indeed but I have just ordered yet another Octava splitter that has optical out as well the EDID switches that hopefully allow necessary adjustments where my old one didn't. I'm quietly confident I'll be able to convince this one to pass 5.1 and as long as it plays ball with my new Geffen splitter, I should end up with a perfect picture in all rooms along with 5.1 where needed. Fingers crossed!

That very kind of you indeed but I have just ordered yet another Octava splitter that has optical out as well the EDID switches that hopefully allow necessary adjustments where my old one didn't. I'm quietly confident I'll be able to convince this one to pass 5.1 and as long as it plays ball with my new Geffen splitter, I should end up with a perfect picture in all rooms along with 5.1 where needed. Fingers crossed!
OK cool. Let me know how you get on ! Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom