1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI 435XDE with PC.....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GrahamMG, Dec 1, 2004.

1. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi people.
    Anyone confirm that a PC DVI feed using a DVI-HDMI lead into the media box of a Pioneer 435XDE works? I knowthe port on the plasma is HDCP so I have doubts, so to save me lugging a plasma up several floors and over a road to try I thought I'd ask here and save my old bones..... Thanks in advance.....

2. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know also.

Ashame it doesn't have DVI...

Koing

3. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard it does work but make sure you use a DVI-i / HDMI cable and not the DVI-d /HDMI cable.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    GrahmaMG

Keep in mind the HDMI Input on the R05 Media Box is a Digital Video Input - it will accept a range of HDCP and Non HDCP Video Resolution signals.

As long as you have the ability to adjust the output format of your PC's Graphic's card to match one or more of the 'accepted' video formats you'll have no problems - you may need Powerstrip or similar to 'force' your PC Graphic's card to output 480P(60), 576P(50) and or 720P(60).

And as kangaroojack says you'll require a DVI to HDMI cable.

Best regards

Joe

5. teoterone

teoterone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there some kind of PC connection on the front of the box for PC input???

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello teoterone

There's an analogue HD15(VGA) input on the front of the R05 Media Box.

Best regards

Joe

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joe.

Simply question then, can I drive the Pioneer at 1:1 pixel mapping via the DVI output of the PC graphics card, i.e. set the PC to output 1024x768?
    I take the point about DVI-I to HDMI lead. I didn't make that clear in my original post.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello Graham

I'm afraid not - the HDMI Input on the PlasmaTV Media Box is a Video Input and as such doesn't support 1024x768P(43") or 1280x768P(50"); I'm sure if the Firmware had been written differently it could but as such no 1:1 Pixel mapping via HDMI.

Best regards

Joe

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joe.

I assume it is a different kettle of fish with their pro range, the MXE's? If so which input module? What about off board scaling surely this has an impact on them too?

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The MXE-1 works extremely well with both external scalers and HTPCs.

It even has various Frame Rate Conversion settings that make it possible to get native resolution at both 50Hz and 60Hz via both VGA and DVI inputs.

The image quality when used in conjunction with say a Lumagen is also extremely good and is a marked improvement over the XDE and other Pioneer plasma TV models.

The biggest fly in the ointment is that the MXE-1 as standard does not have HDCP compliancy on its DVI input.

But this should be solvable, at additional cost, via third-party interface cards from the likes of Aurora who have a dual HDMI equipped card in the pipeline.

If using an external scaler with SDI inputs then it’s a worthwhile considering getting an SDI equipped player or getting yours modded if possible as this will by-pass any HDCP worries until Sky HD becomes available by which time I’m sure a solution will be available.

SDI modding a v1 Sky+ box is also a worthwhile upgrade to get the best possible image.

Cheers, Lee

11. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry if this is a dumb question. Why do you need a DVI-I to HDMI cable, as stated by Kangeroojack, instead of a DVI-D to HDMI cable. Surely the analog portion of a DVI-I connection is irrelevant if the destination is HDMI - a purely digital connection. Surely a DVI-D to HDMI should suffice? A DVI-D connector should sit happily in a DVI-I output of a graphics card. Most DVI->HDMI cables I've seen on sale are quoted as DVI-D not DVI-I.