HDMI 2 x Mirror outputs

ched

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a TV across 1 axis of the room and a projector on the other axis so only 1 in use at any time.

I have a Humax Aura freeview pvr that I want to be connected to the TV for daytime viewing, then in the evening I want it to be connected to the AV amp then to the projector.
So I think I need an HDMI mirror box so I don't need to swap cables around. I have 1 very cheapy HDMI mirror box that splits the AV amp output so I can watch HD DVD, Fire Stick, FreeSat box on either TV or Projector and that works fine but it's just 1080. The Aura is 4K on some apps and the TV displays that.
I have tried a basic HDMI mirror box (about £15 on amazon) but the Aura doesn't seem to like that and the projector won't 'sync', the amp doesn't seem to lock onto the signal either.
I could feed the Aura hdmi into the AV amp but it's an old amp so to save power it's on a smart plug and off in the day so I don't think it will pass through the Aura signal to the TV., plus amp wont do 4K.

Bottom line is there a budget box that will allow the Aura HDMI out (4k) to be fed to both the tv (4K) and the av amp-Projector (1080)? Worst case both running at 1080 would be OK.

Thanks for any help.

Which AVR do you have, some offer HDMI Standby Passthru as a User option in the menus.

Is the low cost 1x2 you purchased externally powered, if it claims to be passive that is likely why it’s not working.

If I follow you will split the PVR Output to the TV plus AVR plus Split the AVR Output to the TV and Projector?

If the 1x2 Splitter you add to the PVR has decent EDID management it should inform the PVR what to Output depending on which Display device is On, if not you may have to manually toggle it between 4K with 2.0 audio and 1080p with 5.1 audio.

Joe

Thanks for your comments.
The AVR is an old Sony STR-D810 I have just checked and it does do passthru in standby mode so that might be an easy option. Although I think it might just passthru the last input that was selected which might not be idea as it might confuse others at home when they turn on the tv. I will have a play.
The cheapy 1x2 is usb powered via an adapter but it doesn't have any settings on it so I guess no EDID management which might be causing the issues as TV is capable of 4K but amp and projector only 1080p.

I think I have found a 1x2 from EZCOO which seems to have EDID and scaler settings so it might be worth a go at £30.

Must admit I haven't really followed AV kit over the last decade - I used to be very into it back in the analogue days :) So I need to do a bit of reading ref the terms like EDID, HDCP, ARC, e-ARC, etc.

Thanks for your help.

The EZCOO 1x2 mirror arrived today and seems to work perfectly. Although if I set output 1 to be 4K it doesn't seem to like it but that could be because I need to change the settings on the Aura as that can be set to auto or any specific resolution.
I will have more of a play later but I now have images and sound from the Aura Freeview PVR to both my tv and avr-projector.

Is your Source Outputting 4K HDR or 4K SDR?

Unless the 4K>1080p scaler also converts HDR to SDR you may have to limit the Source to 4K SDR as very few display devices will support 1080p HDR.

Joe

Is your Source Outputting 4K HDR or 4K SDR?

Unless the 4K>1080p scaler also converts HDR to SDR you may have to limit the Source to 4K SDR as very few display devices will support 1080p HDR.

Joe
Cheers.
The source (Aura freeview pvr) is set to auto output but is capable of 4K HDR10 on some apps - not that I have tested that as TV has own apps that are 4K. I very much doubt this Ezcoo is capable for HDR to SDR. It appears that hdmi1 is a sort of master as it's the one that sets the EDID. I assumed that I would set HDMI1 to scaler off and HDMI2 to 1080p scaler for the AVR and projector.
It's not a big deal at all to have both outputs set at 1080p, I'm just pleased to get both tv and projector working from the Aura PVR.
Thanks for your help.

4K HDR to 1080p SDR, only a very few devices such as the HDFury Diva offer that feature.

Hopefully the PVR and Ezcoo play nice with the rest of your kit.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom