Hdmi 2.1 receiver recommendations?

SnakePlissken006

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new receiver for my setup. I currently have the sony str-dn1080 but I'm returning it due to earc issues. I'm not sure if it had this hdmi 2.1 bug that a lot of people talk about on receivers before 2021 but I'd like to buy one that doesn't have that issue. My budget is £500 and I'm just looking for something that has atmos and works well in earc so I can send uncompressed audio over to my pc. I'm using the sony x900h TV if that helps, thanks.

You'll be hard pushed to find anything that meets your requirements for under £500.

The closest you are probably going to get is this:

Not sure as to what you mean by this:

so I can send uncompressed audio over to my pc. I'm using the sony x900h TV if that helps, thanks.

eARC wouldn't facilitate the conveyance of any audio to your PC and is used to repurpose the HDMI connection from an AV receiver to a TV so that the connection can be used to convey audio from the TV to the AV receiver. eARC allows lossless HD formatted audio and multichannel PCM encoded audio to be conveyed. Do you mean that you want to pass the audio sourced from the PC connected directly to the TV through the TV and out to the AV receiver via eARC?

ARC and eARC issues are particularly problematic with many of the newer AV receivers. While the AV receiver and your TV are eARC enabled, I cannot gurantee that eARC will actually work witb them?

Last edited:
I was actually going to go for the denon avr-x2700h. I decided to spend a bit more as I'm getting a refund for my Sony. Yeah I'll be connecting my receiver to my tvs hdmi 2.1 earc and my pc to my other hdmi 2.1 on tv so earc is important as it passes through atmos and stuff. Problem with my Sony was that audio randomly cut out now and again and I couldn't seem to fix it. How do these denon receivers compare to the sony and should I go for the avr-x2700h or the x1700h? Thanks

The X1700 is technically a lower tier model and will be slighly less powerful with only one HDMI output compared to the 2 onboard the X2700.

Despite being a model that is supposedly below the X2700, the X1700 has one trick up its sleeve absent from the model above it. The X1700 has 3 4K 120Hz/8K 60Hz complant inputs compared to just the one such input on the X2700.

DAB is in reference to the inclusion of a DAB digital radio tuner:

I'd suggest your Sony was a better sounding AVR than what you'll get via a DEnon model, but the features onboard the DEnon models will be better and far less quirky than what you had with the Sony AVR. I'd suggest you' may experience similar issues with eARC with whatever make or model of AVR you buy?

So a £430 sony sounds better than a £680 denon? Why the massive price difference then?

Firstly, you are quoting a discounted price for the STRDN1080, it was initially more than this. Secondly, prices are high right now due to shortages of both the units themselves and the components used to manufacturer them. You'd more than likely have to pre order one just to get one.

Retailers are not discounting very much if anything right now due to the demand for AV receivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom