HDMI 2.1 real coming time?

Saebasan

Novice Member
Reaction score
When HDMI 2.1 will be really available???

All the TV maker are claiming HDR, but for 4K 60hz 10bit and 4:4:4 chroma.... hdmi 2.0 doesn’t bring enough bandwidth.
So, when tv makers will actually stop to play with us, and really incorporate hdmi 2.1???

And if they can’t why don’t they put display port 1.4 instead. For waiting...

Its been available on LG (e.g. C9) this year but although last year everyone would say "dont buy - wait for 2.1" when it appeared its been very quiet. Personally I think 2,1 and eARC are the most important developments on TV since HDR (until we get new screen tech). There's no real cost increase to include the 2.1 chipset.

Strangely even 2019/2020 year Receivers dont support it and neither do recent GPU releases - I agree I would like high bit depth 4K whereas others might want high refresh rate.

There was a rumour of a new ATV 4K box with 2.1 such a thing might make sense to support 8K content as 8K TVs will require 2.1. When they appear along with the new consoles then 2.1 will start to become standard.

Thank you.

Yes it seems that LG C9 tv got HDMI 2.1.
Thank to your reply, you gave me the idea to dig in the LG side of all this mess, and I found an interesting comment. Here you are:

« HDMI Licensing does not allow HDMI version numbers to be used in advertising and promotion. »

And here the link:
LG OLED55C9PUA : C9 55 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® (54.6'' Diag) | LG USA

WHAT THE HECK????
If this assertion is true, (and this is the actual state, while I look for relevant information in dealers. They don’t know. No one knows...),
so does it mean that they intend to sell us their shit, while hiding the specs.

Practically this would mean:
You don’t know if it’s an HDMI 2.0a, 2.0b, 2.1. If it’s a real 2.1 full spec or not. VRR supported or not. Chroma 4:4:4 supported or not.
NO clear designation on the TV
NO printing on the package.
NO detailed on the spec sheet.
NO relevant information on internet web site.
BUT
« Yes yes, buy it, buy it,
please give us $7000»... for getting money, no problem...

Is it what they plan to do???
Do they take us for monkeys???

This is intolerable and
this would deserve a customer groupement lawsuit against the HDMI consortium.
Doing business while hiding product’s information and details doesn’t sound fair to me.

At least, this is what I think.

Attachments

• 056F9BFE-FE37-4491-AC93-6C4D6F25D8DB.png
    056F9BFE-FE37-4491-AC93-6C4D6F25D8DB.png
    425.4 KB · Views: 154
WHAT THE HECK????
If this assertion is true, (and this is the actual state, while I look for relevant information in dealers. They don’t know. No one knows...),
so does it mean that they intend to sell us their sh*t, while hiding the specs.

The HDMI organisation has been pushing for years for marketing to be about features rather than versions, which is more informative rather than less as some features are optional.

They have banned version numbers in marketing for cables bearing the HDMI logo (as cable standards often don't change between versions) but I haven't heard they've done it for devices.

Thank you.

Yes it seems that LG C9 tv got HDMI 2.1.
Thank to your reply, you gave me the idea to dig in the LG side of all this mess, and I found an interesting comment. Here you are:

« HDMI Licensing does not allow HDMI version numbers to be used in advertising and promotion. »

And here the link:
LG OLED55C9PUA : C9 55 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® (54.6'' Diag) | LG USA

WHAT THE HECK????
so does it mean that they intend to sell us their sh*t, while hiding the specs.

Practically this would mean:
You don’t know if it’s an HDMI 2.0a, 2.0b, 2.1. If it’s a real 2.1 full spec or not. VRR supported or not. Chroma 4:4:4 supported or not.
NO clear designation on the TV
NO printing on the package.
NO detailed on the spec sheet.
NO relevant information on internet web site.
BUT
« Yes yes, buy it, buy it,
please give us $7000»... for getting money, no problem...

Is it what they plan to do???
Do they take us for monkeys???

This is intolerable and
this would deserve a customer groupement lawsuit against the HDMI consortium.
Doing business while hiding product’s information and details doesn’t sound fair to me.

At least, this is what I think.
Thats quite a rant!

To be fair a quick google would have told you that C9 etc already have HDMI 2.1 and a quick visit to the LG website shows its not hidden, and what 2.1 features they implement.

Some 2.1 features (eARC ALLM) have appeared on existing TVs and receivers without mention of 2.1, whereas some do need a proper 2.1 chipset, and some need 48gbps cables - which you can get. As above it's labeling of cables as 2.1 instead of a certified bandwidth that the standards org is probably worried about.

Dont get confused between HDR, bitdepths (8/10/12) and chroma subsampling (444 etc). Current HDR formats are fine over HDMI 2.0 and you can get 444 at 4K/60 but only 8 bit. For bit higher depths at 4K/60, or to get 4K/120 or 8K video, and for the new dynamic HDR standard then you'll eventually need 2.1.

Definitely confused as to where all the HDMI 2.1 devices are. LG clearly stole a march on everyone at CES but why the late Summer TV launches (Sony, Philips, Panasonic) had to do without is very strange. At this point I’m not even sure all 2020 TVs will get it. Realtek launched their DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 chipset over the summer which is likely what Apple and the GPU makers are waiting on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom