Question HDMI 2.0a/b help required!

AaronOfYell

Novice Member
Hello.

I am currently looking to buy a new TV and have been investigating HDMI 2.0 a and b. All of the information I can find about the Sony XG95 range of TVs state that they are equipped with HDMI 2.0a.

This article (What’s the difference between HDMI 2.0a, 2.0b, and 2.1?) states that the difference between HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b is that 2.0b supports HLG but 2.0a does not.

I would like to know if a TV that is equipped for HDMI 2.0a can be upgraded to HDMI 2.0b with a software update, or will new hardware be required? (I am asking about the TV, NOT my HDMI cables).

Also, the above article states that neither HDMI 2.0 a or b supports dynamic metadata. Does this mean that to receive the full benefits of Dolby Vision will require HDMI 2.1?

Thanks in advance, hope somebody can help!

AaronOfYell

Novice Member
Thanks for that.

I realise you can view Dolby Vision using lesser cables than 2.1, but surely the quality must be reduced, i.e the full benefits of Dolby Vision.

And what about 2.0 a and b?

zeppelino

No reduction in the quality of the DV using 2.0 cables - all current 4K players use 2.0 to pass signals so it’s literally pointless to use 2.1 cables to pass the signal.

2.0a/b - it’s basically irrelevant as you can add features via firmware updates. Even most of the 2.1 features can be added to 2.0 via firmware update.

Top Bottom