HDMI 2.0 vs 2.0b

LEE 345

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just received 3 HDMI cables from Amazon. The cables I ordered stated they were V2.0b however the one's delivered are
V2.0 . I've read a few articles on this issue
And some say it makes no difference whilst others say V2.0a and V2.0b are upgrades and needed/best for HDR and the BBC's new HDR format .my TV is an lgb6 . Help should I send the cables back or do I not need to?

Just try them, either they will work or they won't.

The only time my TV lets me know the format its displaying is on Netflix (Dolby vision) or playstation 4 ( HDR) . I'll give it a try like you suggest but was hoping to remove any doubt over the "best" cable for my TV lgb6 thanks for reply

There is no such thing as a hdmi 2.0 cable. It’s a standard.

Any high speed cable will be 2.0b compatible

Thanks , so there's no difference in 2.0 . 2.0a and 2.0b sorry if that sounds daft but I haven't a clue ,only know not to pay silly price's for one

Thanks , so there's no difference in 2.0 . 2.0a and 2.0b sorry if that sounds daft but I haven't a clue ,only know not to pay silly price's for one

Don’t be sorry it’s all about learning.

The hdmi standard (2.0, a,b etc) is for the actual device not the cable. There are differences but the cable itself does not have a certified hdmi standard apart from its speeds. All high speed cables that can carry 18gbps will be able to connect hdmi 2.0b devices no problem

The new hdmi 2.1 standard will need a new cable as it’s bandwidth exceeds what the existing cables can manage

The standards define the limits of insertion loss and noise rejection for the cable, as well as the actual version of protocol that devices are allowed to negotiate.

An old cable highly likely won't be able to carry the same bandwidth without unacceptable signal/noise ratios causing loss of signal, but a cable doesn't directly impact the negotiation of protocol.

Thanks again . The cables I've got are 18gps so i feel ok about keeping them . On another note I feel like I'd get a lot of answers about all these things if my expensive lgb6 came with a manual. Thats a big negative point for me, I know you can get it online ,
but not the same as having book with index

Drdocmatt I'm not tech savvy mate thanks for your reply but that was as clear as mud to me

Thanks again . The cables I've got are 18gps so i feel ok about keeping them . On another note I feel like I'd get a lot of answers about all these things if my expensive lgb6 came with a manual. Thats a big negative point for me, I know you can get it online ,
but not the same as having book with index
Cables do vary in quality. HDMI bandwidths are now *so high* that it's no longer really true that it "either works or it doesn't". Plus, cables from unknown manufacturers rarely meet their stated standards, so I would still try another one. One you can send back if it makes no difference...

Drdocmatt I'm not tech savvy mate thanks for your reply but that was as clear as mud to me
Well, my point was some cables are motorways where you can go as fast as you like, but even there you don't *have* to drive at 70 on them you could go slower (I.e. high quality cable connecting older devices together)... some cables are back streets where you can't choose to drive at 70 because you'll die so you have to drive more slowly (crap cables with modern high speed devices)... and some are A roads where you might get away with it, you might not, it all depends on the exact road and the exact car you're driving...

Lol, clearer? :)

Brilliant that . So say I was driving an lgb6
Down a virgin media V6 100mbps
super highway . what would be the best cable for the smoothest ride ?:)

Just signed up for another year :( get good fibre speed which I do get 90 to 100 Mbps.
Does ok for PS4 pro and netflix . Thought I may get 4k hdr through better cable from virgin box to TV . Don't think I'm getting best from tv except via netflix and PS4 . thanks for getting back appreciate it :thumbsup:

Just signed up for another year [emoji20] get good fibre speed which I do get 90 to 100 Mbps.
Does ok for PS4 pro and netflix . Thought I may get 4k hdr through better cable from virgin box to TV . Don't think I'm getting best from tv except via netflix and PS4 . thanks for getting back appreciate it [emoji106]

Depends on what both TV and Virgin box support. Your TV should be fine, but I have no idea if Virgin support any form of HDR. Sky don’t (yet) for example.

TV lgb6 supports 4k hdr and Dolby vision not sure on virgin V6 box although it is supposed to be the latest one (had it 1 year) I'll have a look into it some more cheers .

I've just received 3 HDMI cables from Amazon. The cables I ordered stated they were V2.0b however the one's delivered are
V2.0 . I've read a few articles on this issue
And some say it makes no difference whilst others say V2.0a and V2.0b are upgrades and needed/best for HDR and the BBC's new HDR format .my TV is an lgb6 . Help should I send the cables back or do I not need to?

Hello Lee.
HDMI.org is the official place for all things HDMI.

Read this...
https://www.hdmi.org/pdf/atlug_faqs/2011_04_26_ATLUG_Q07_FINAL.pdf

Basically,
HDMI version numbers do not apply to cables, they never have.

Anyone using those numbers in relation to cables is attempting a fraud i.e. this cable is better because etc.

Shop for the logos shown.
The only honest thing that is to be said about a HDMI cable is whether it is standard speed, high speed , or premium.

You need high speed or premium.
Anything else a seller might say about a cable is lies.
In the world of AV and audio cable sellers , almost everyone is a liar. ( e.g. persistent use of HDMI version numbers to sell cables when this practice has been banned since 2011)

With a HDMI cable, once you have one test it with the highest bandwidth signal you have, if it works it works, subtle differences are impossible and a working cable is as good as it gets, no other cable can be better.

Last edited:
Thanks that is just the info I was after ,much appreciated.
Just read the link you sent wow! Brilliant info
I recommend anyone who is confused re HDMI cables to have a look. Real eye opener.
The cables I've got don't have anything printed on them other than HDMI and primewire , going to return them for ones that have high speed on them thanks again.

Last edited:
TV lgb6 supports 4k hdr and Dolby vision not sure on virgin V6 box although it is supposed to be the latest one (had it 1 year) I'll have a look into it some more cheers .

As far as I know, Virgin don’t have any 4k content, let alone HDR.

And the TV signal isn’t included in the 100Mb internet service bandwidth is it?

As far as I know, Virgin don’t have any 4k content, let alone HDR.

And the TV signal isn’t included in the 100Mb internet service bandwidth is it?
Correct, the TV signal runs on a different carrier from the internet signal.

Cables do vary in quality. HDMI bandwidths are now *so high* that it's no longer really true that it "either works or it doesn't". Plus, cables from unknown manufacturers rarely meet their stated standards, so I would still try another one. One you can send back if it makes no difference...
Agree. My older cables worked but picture looked more blocky/pixelated

What was your source? if the HDMI cable can't cope with the bandwidth you'll get drop outs on the picture or sparkles. It shouldn't make things more pixelated.
Sparkles and drop outs were also frequent, so I had to change input for a few seconds then go back into the user input.But even when things were working, particularly in dark scenes near black, I could see heavy blocks of grey pixels and color gradation was not very smooth. I went back to some older UHD titles that I own ever since getting new cables and the difference in very noticeable. Smoother gradation and less detectable pixels.

Sparkles and drop outs were also frequent, so I had to change input for a few seconds then go back into the user input.But even when things were working, particularly in dark scenes near black, I could see heavy blocks of grey pixels and color gradation was not very smooth. I went back to some older UHD titles that I own ever since getting new cables and the difference in very noticeable. Smoother gradation and less detectable pixels.

I think you have two different issues there. A poor quality source (blocks of pixels and poor colour gradation) and a faulty cable (sparkles and drop outs).

I think you have two different issues there. A poor quality source (blocks of pixels and poor colour gradation) and a faulty cable (sparkles and drop outs).
Poor quality source? These are all UHD discs I am talking about, not streaming sources. HDMI cables were the only factor.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom