HDMI 2.0 Switch vs HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.4 Active Adapter

TFUGaMeOvEr

Novice Member
Hi All, I am looking for some advise.

I have a 4k gaming PC monitor, this has 1 HDMI 2.0 port (currently used for xbox), DisplayPort (used for PC), and 2 spare DisplayPort (1.2 and 1.4), 2 HDMI 1.4 ports.

I am looking to hook up a Playstation but with only one available HDMI 2.0 available for 4k 60hz.. I was wondering if anyone could advise if I would be better off using 4K (HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2) HDMI Switch connected to the HDMI 2.0 port for both consoles, or use a HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.4 Active adapter for one of the consoles to be connected to the Dp1.4 port and keep the other connected directly to the HDMI 2.0 port?

Having never used a switch or one of these adapters I am at a loss as to which would be more reliable and a better option.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you.

Do you happen to know if these types of switches are also compatible with the newer consoles (Xbox Series X and PS5)?

Not managed to find much information regarding how good these are for the newer devices.

Your monitor is HDMI 2.0 based so cannot use HDMI 2.1 features. The switch is also HDMI 2.0 so is limited by those features, the newer consoles will just work in HDMI 2.0 mode.

There are some HDMI 2.1 switches now on the market but that would require buying a HDMI 2.1 display to get any use.

The one feature that may work is Freesync as that is not bound to any version of HDMI, of consoles only Xbox supports Freesync (aka variable refresh rate) but at 4K 60hz the VRR range would be limited to 48-60Hz so would only help keep 60fps games smooth that dip into 50fps range.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'd have gone for the converter personally, so you can switch between all three inputs in the same place instead of having it split between the monitor and the switch.

TFUGaMeOvEr

Novice Member
I'd have gone for the converter personally, so you can switch between all three inputs in the same place instead of having it split between the monitor and the switch.
Yeah that was my first thought when I heard about the active adapters. Where I haven't used either a switch or adapter before though, I'm just not sure which provides a better quality image (and sound), with the least amount of messing around.

outoftheknow

I'm just not sure which provides a better quality image (and sound)
HDMI is zeros and ones. It either works or doesn't. This goes back to the old argument from stupidly expensive HDMI cable makers/sellers that you get a "better picture" using their cables. You don't. Just make sure the cables are certified for the speed/bandwidth the HDMI sockets are capable of. Nowadays you only need to worry about up to HDMI 2.0(b) which is 18Gb/s and marked Premium High Speed , or 48Gb/s which can take all the video features of the 2.1 standard. Those are marked Ultra High Speed.

next010

Distinguished Member
You will also lose support for Freesync/VRR using a DP converter.

Freesync/VRR over DP and HDMI are not compatible with each other it must be DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI.

You will also lose support for HDMI resolutions/refresh rates not supported by the DP converter though the monitor probably isn't capable of 1080p/1440 120Hz to begin with. DP converters often just do 1080p or 4K 60hz.

TFUGaMeOvEr

Novice Member
You will also lose support for Freesync/VRR using a DP converter.

Freesync/VRR over DP and HDMI are not compatible with each other it must be DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI.

You will also lose support for HDMI resolutions/refresh rates not supported by the DP converter though the monitor probably isn't capable of 1080p/1440 120Hz to begin with. DP converters often just do 1080p or 4K 60hz.
Yeah my monitor is one of the earlier 4k capable monitors so can only reach 4k 60hz either via DP or HDMI 2.0.

Sounds like the HDMI switch is going to be the best option for me.. Price wise there is no difference in the switch and DP adapter I have found so functionality is the decider.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom