HDMI 2.0 > 1.3a compatibility with 1080P SDR output

Cosmic Pablo

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I’m having a HDMI related technical question, and I figured some of the experts here could help.

My current A/V receiver is the Yamaha RX-V1800, which is HDMI 1.3a. I still works perfectly, and I want to update my blu-ray player. But all the current decent players feature a HDMI 2.0 video output…

So my question is:

Since HDMI is supposed to be background compatible, and if I only play blu-rays (therefore sticking to a 1080P SDR signal), will the RX-V1800 HDMI 1.3a input still be able to process a video signal coming from a HDMI 2.0 output ?

Thanks a lot,

JM

Last edited:

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I’m having a HDMI related technical question, and I figured some of the experts here could help.

My current A/V receiver is the Yamaha RX-V1800, which is HDMI 1.3a. I still works perfectly, and I want to update my blu-ray player. But all the current decent players feature a HDMI 2.0 video output…

So my question is:

Since HDMI is supposed to be background compatible, and if I only play blu-rays (therefore sticking to a 1080P SDR signal), will the RX-V1800 HDMI 1.3a input still be able to process a video signal coming from a HDMI 2.0 output ?

Thanks a lot,

JM
will find the blu-ray player if its a panasonic will just dial back the output to 1080p and will get a message onscreen its doing that

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply.
So if I only output a 1080P signal, it should work, right?
yep, even if outputting a 4k signal; eg in the pana it will just detect and swap back. a lot of folks do this where say they dont have a 4k uhd display but want to take advantage of often the 3D audio (atmos, dts-X) tracks these discs often have where blu-ray doesnt.

Pulse1

You won't get HDR or BT2020 either and the 4k resolution will be downscaled to 1080p. My advice would be just get an HD Blu-ray player and enjoy 1080p SDR Discs.

Cosmic Pablo

Novice Member
Thank you for the replies.
Unfortunately, good quality HD BD players only are all sold out now, which is why my only options are either a cheap player, or a BD / 4K one.
So I'll go with a BD / 4K one, if only to future proof my setup when I decide to update my receiver.

Thanks again!

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the replies.
Unfortunately, good quality HD BD players only are all sold out now, which is why my only options are either a cheap player, or a BD / 4K one.
So I'll go with a BD / 4K one, if only to future proof my setup when I decide to update my receiver.

Thanks again!
probably a good thing for future anyways :) as you say so can upgrade around it later :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom