Question HDMI 1.4 to 2.0a converter available

Drunk Jesus

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I brought an LG 4K UHD TV back in 2015. It has since received an update for HDR but since the HDMI connection is 1.4 I cannot use with my PS4 or Xbox.

Is there a converter to 2.0a available. Or am I completely screwed on this?

If so, what are the best ones?

Thanks all

Last edited:
You don't give the model, but TVs are generally designed as throwaway items and upgrades to the ports are rarely made available.

Although unless it was the top of the range model there's a good chance it doesn't have the extra hardware for HDR anyway and the update only added the ability to read HDR content. Much like playing 4K content on a Full HD TV, you might see fringe benefits but it won't be the thing itself.

It's odd but that specs page says HDMI ports 1 and 2 support HDCP 2.2, 60Hz, 2160p which is what you need for 4K on game consoles. You mention it has HDMI 1.4 instead ?

You could try getting the firmware from LG's site and installing it in case the built in online checker is not up to date or it's some regional thing. Here is the aussy site for example but you should get firmware specific to your country.

You may also have to change settings in TV display to activate the HDCP 2.2/4K & HDR mode before the console will see it as a compatible display.

Thanks for your advice. To be honest I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm not sure what HDCP 2.2 means. All I know is I was to,d my ports are hdmi 1.4 which cannot support HDR. Perhaps this is incorrect. I know the HDR works because it activates every time I watch a Netflix show that supports HDR.

I guess I'll play around with the to settings and see what I can find. So HDCP 2.2 should support HDR on the hdmi port?

Okay I will try to explain it.

HDMI 2.0 = interface required for 2160p@60hz which is what 4K games consoles output.
HDCP 2.2 = DRM/security used on above connections.

HDMI 1.4 = older generation interface can do 2160p@30Hz not good enough for game 4K consoles but is used by older generation PS4/Xbox consoles for 1080p@60hz.

HDR can work across HDMI 1.x & 2.x interfaces.

Playstation 4 has HDMI 1.4 (supports HDR*)
Playstation 4 Pro has HDMI 2.0 (supports HDR)

Xbox One has HDMI 1.4 (no HDR)
Xbox One S has HDMI 2.0 (supports HDR)
Xbox One X has HDMI 2.0 (Supports HDR)

* Sony patched the original PS4 with HDR but it requires some hoops to jump through to make it work and some news sites say it's useless, doesn't work with any software.

Which exact console do you have ?

Last edited:
I have the PS4 pro and the Xbox one S. I can see the LG website states "HDMI Ports 1 and 2 support HDCP 2.2 and 60fps @ 2160p" but I've never been about to achieve HDR through my consoles yet. I read they were 1.4 connections so I didn't think it was possible.

Not sure what else to do. So is there and converter out there which can change 1.4 to 2.0a? Would such a thing exist?

There is no convertor that will do what your asking in this scenario.

If your PS4 Pro and X1S are plugged into HDMI ports 1 and 2 and are outputting 2160p@60hz then you have 4K output, the display settings in either console will tell you or the info button on the remote which gives info may do so.

If you do have 2160p@60hz output then getting HDR if TV supports it is one step closer.

Try with X1S first as it will tell you if it detects HDR in it's display settings, so go into the TV's picture settings for that HDMI input the console is plugged into and look around for anything called "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" then enable that.

If you do that then have the X1S re-check it's display settings and if all goes well it should detect HDR, though wether it's actually worth pursing it is another matter for games as some feel it makes things too dim.

Plus LG TV's had issues with HDR and game mode active, game mode is far more preferable than HDR, now LG did resolve some of those issues on newer TV's via firmware updates but for older models I've no idea.

Last edited:
My Xbox doesn't recognise my tv to be HDR Compatible. The "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" is always switched on. It does recognise 4K but that's it.

Not looking good for HDR. Doesn't seem to be compatible unless you have any other suggestions? I'll keep exhausting all other options in the meantime.

I appreciate your time to help me!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom