Hdmi 1.3?

cooldawn said:
Can I clarify that I should be able to use the HDMI for visuals and optical for audio? If so why would this matter as most people here have these options?

You could use this configuration but then you wouldn't be be taking advantage of lossless sound from the next-gen audio codecs. What I imagine will happen is that you'll have 1 HDMI cable from your display to your amp and then another cable from your amp to your Blu-Ray player.

Tejstar said:
You could use this configuration but then you wouldn't be be taking advantage of lossless sound from the next-gen audio codecs. What I imagine will happen is that you'll have 1 HDMI cable from your display to your amp and then another cable from your amp to your Blu-Ray player.
Sorry, I was talking PlayStation3 :oops:

I imagine I could have a set-up similar to my XBOX360. A direct link for the visuals and optical for sound or will I need to somehow get the sound from my Toshiba to my cinema system :confused:

Well afaik the PS3 will have a digital out, so you should be able to connect it as you are currently with the 360.

Id like to know more about 1.3 devices causing noise on 1.1 HDMI before i believe that article.

It sounds like an erroneous claim to me.

Why would the group ratify a new standard that isnt compatible with the old one?

pez

DarkEntity said:
November in Japan maybe, but probably not till Feb/March in the UK.
You know the PS3 will be out worldwide in Nov mate.

pez said:
Id like to know more about 1.3 devices causing noise on 1.1 HDMI before i believe that article.

Why would the group ratify a new standard that isnt compatible with the old one?

pez

According to HDMI.org, 1.3 will be fully backwards compatible with previous versions...

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060103.asp

pez said:

I don't the article was right, the new sockets will be backwards compatible and should not cause any noise. The audio will simply be down-sampled and run through pcm.

Dont see what all the worry is about really, as an example they launched USB 2.0 and it worked fine with USB 1 products. :)

The whole point of releasing new standards for USB or HDMI is simply to add faster, efficient data transfer and greater compatability, not to disregard previous versions altogether?

triplea4uk said:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/24/gdc2006_ps3_no_hdmi/

Nice info for you to read it mentions HDMI and HDMI 1.3 doesn't work well with HDMI 1.1

Probably irrelavant in the fact to get HD sound through HDMI, you'll need to have an HDMI equipped receiver and then link to TV. Seeing as the cheapest HDMI equipped receiver at the moment is about £600, then I for one will do withouht HD sound for the time being until the prices drop to a realistic entry level.

But then I would imagine that the receiver would probably negate that problem due to no sound coming from the HDMI version 1 TV, but through HDMI version 3 receiver instead. That would be my guess anyway.

Nice info for you to read it mentions HDMI and HDMI 1.3 doesn't work well with HDMI 1.1

Did you read page 2 of this thread?

We are saying that that web site is the only place where there is any reference to that particular problem.

The standards are backwards compatible, and if there has been a problem, its very unlikely to show in production models that use 1.3. Its quite possible though that an early implementation was buggy, and as such caused the problem, but as the standard says that it will be backwards compatible, then it will work when its released.

pez

Well you would think they would have it working by now if its out Nov they will need to start production 3 months before that not very long to sort it out seems worrying to me it mentions other points on that site also.

triplea4uk said:
Well you would think they would have it working by now if its out Nov they will need to start production 3 months before that not very long to sort it out seems worrying to me it mentions other points on that site also.

The problem is that the HDMI v1.3 spec has not even been finalised yet, so they can't start production before the spec is ready!

Thats there fault so there going to release somthing thats untested then yeah that really has my confidence in the product.

Sounds more like Sonys lies again it wont have all they say which not that long ago they did it with another product they released anyone remember that media ps2 type thing?

Sheesh dude, it wont be untested by the time it gets to market.

Please go back to the 360 forum, youre beginning to look like a troll here.

pez

triplea4uk said:

Were you worried that the 360 "demo pods" at e3 were apple g5/x800xt?

pez said:
Sheesh dude, it wont be untested by the time it gets to market.

Please go back to the 360 forum, youre beginning to look like a troll here.

pez

So you think 4 months testing is good enough for new technology?

Everybody has the right to post in any forum they want your not a MOD if you don't like it don't read it.

criggy said:
Were you worried that the 360 "demo pods" at e3 were apple g5/x800xt?

I was

4 months, from march to november?

the standard says backwards compatible. if theyve had bugs in their current version, id put money on most of them being ironed out pre launch.

edit:

i dont like what you post because most of it is inflamatory nonsense.

pez

But we are talking about a standard that is not under the control of Sony. Therefore as soon as the v1.3 standard has been finalised, Sony will implement it into the console.

pez said:
4 months, from march to november?

the standard says backwards compatible. if theyve had bugs in their current version, id put money on most of them being ironed out pre launch.

edit:

i dont like what you post because most of it is inflamatory nonsense.

pez

Are you really this dumb 4 months testing to produce a console for launch it will take months they dont start production like a week before launch it takes month s

Well to you it might be nonsense but thats prob because you got a ps2 for a brain you need to see things in the real world Sony are not perfect they dont get everything working 100%

triplea4uk said:
Are you really this dumb 4 months testing to produce a console for launch it will take months they dont start production like a week before launch it takes month s

Well to you it might be nonsense but thats prob because you got a ps2 for a brain you need to see things in the real world Sony are not perfect they dont get everything working 100%

PS2 for a brain wouldn't be that bad considering the CPU alone can calculate 6.2 Giga Flops per second of information. Somewhat more than any of the other last gen-consoles. (I hate the term last-gen BTW)...

Eyesight (graphics BTW) may be a little on the fuzzy side from time to time, especially if no Prog scan mode enabled (only usually with english peoples eyesight though, as our "cousins" over the pond seem to get that option as standard.

What an I muttering about? I think I have lost the plot tonight after a session on GRAW. It's the pads fault I swear. So bloody uncomfortable it defies belief! But the game is so good I have to persevere!

A week away from the forums for triplea4uk for insulting another member (yet again) and trolling.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/24/gdc2006_ps3_no_hdmi/index.html

after readign the above it sound like there will be no 1080p at E3 this year, personally i don't think there is anthing to worry about as all they have ot do is fix the software around HDMI to be backwards compaptable with version 1.1,

not rally a biggie if you aks me as anyone who will wnat to rund Dolby DTS HD will run it through an amp then to the TV by passing the TV's need to decode HD audio.

I will upgrade my up eventually once HDMi amps are common place, ferwer cables ect....

a_friend said:
not rally a biggie if you aks me as anyone who will wnat to run Dolby DTS HD will run it through an amp then to the TV by passing the TV's need to decode HD audio.

But you'll still need v1.3 HDMI from the PS3 acting as a source for the TrueHD/DTS HD feed to the amp/tv etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom