HDMI 1.3 splitter with 6+ ins and 2 outs?

Darkbet

Standard Member
Hi

I'm looking for a HDMI splitter (1.3 compliant) with 6+ ins and 2 outs. Where can I find such a beast?

Ins: PS3, SkyHD, Oppo 981, Toshiba HD-XE1, AppleTV
Outs: Onkyo 905, Sharp LCD

The Onkyo has only 4 ins and the Sharp only 2.

Thx.

cybrey

Darkbet do you need both 'outs' to be active at the same time ? ( only reason I ask is that one of your outs is to an amp and the other to a LCD) I'm not 100% sure but the Octava switch Joe mentions may only do 1 at a time, my 3x2 Octava does.

A different solution would be to use the digital audio outs from the equipment directly to the amp and wire the HDMI switch in between the sources and the LCD. This solution will be a lot cheaper in the long run as you'll only need a 6:1 HDMI switch which are lot cheaper than Matrix switches.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello cybrey

Octava have just launched the HDDA12-UK the first of a new range of ‘Mirrored’ Output Distribution Amps – as you say your HDS32-UK is a Cross Switch and always shows two different Sources when outputting simultaneous signals.

It looks like Darkbet requires the mirrored Output unit for 1 x HD Video to his Display + 1 x HD Audio to his AV Receiver.

Another Option is to combine a Multi Input Switch with a Mirrored Output DA.

Joe

cybrey

Ah ok, I did look on Octava's site before answering but couldn't see the 6x2.

Just for curiosities sake do you know what the uk retail price is likely to be ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Cybrey

The Octava 5x2 is not online as yet - pricing will hopefully be released in the next few days; I'll update this thread when it appears on the Octava website.

Joe

Darkbet

Standard Member
Hi

Sorry for not replying earlier. Thx to all for helping.

I just need 1 out active since I only have 1 LCD.

So it's either:
switch out1 -> LCD in1
switch out2 -> Onkyo 905 in1 -> Onkyo 905 out1 -> LCD in2

A different solution would be to use the digital audio outs from the equipment directly to the amp and wire the HDMI switch in between the sources and the LCD. This solution will be a lot cheaper in the long run as you'll only need a 6:1 HDMI switch which are lot cheaper than Matrix switches.

Need to consider that.

Maybe I can get around the pbm with that:
http://http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204port_toslink.htm
although it's only 4 ins.

My Onkyo 905 is going to be delivered tomorrow so I guess the week end will be busy :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Darkbet

Assuming you want to get HD Audio into the AV Receiver from your Sources that have HD Audio available (PS3, HD DVD...) you need either LPCM via HDMI>HDMI or multi channel Analogue over multiple RCA>RCA between the Source and AV Receiver.

If you use Optical for all of your Sources your downgrading the audio with your HD Audio equipped Sources.

You may want to adopt two different connectivity plans for your HD and non HD Audio enabled Sources - or go with your original plan for a Multi Input/Output HDMI Switch/DA.

Keep in mind too you can Daisy Chain multiple HDMI Switch/DA gear - up to seven layers.

A 5x2 Mirrored Output Switch/DA can have another Switch up-stream of one of its Inputs to enable more than Five Source devices in your system.

If you always plan to use the AV Receiver whenever your viewing your Sources it may be you don't require a Dual Output HDMI switch!

Joe

Darkbet

Standard Member
Actually the initial reason for such a setup is I did not want to have to use the AV receiver all the time. I may want to watch something on Sky or a dvd or use the PS3 without having to switch on the AV receiver when it's late at night for example.

I'm afraid submitting my neighbours to the full blast of the Onkyo 905 unduly will not be appreciated :D

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Darkbet

Its quite a common request to have the ability to choose 'TV' or 'Surround' sound.

Your may run into Audio configuration 'problems' with the PS3 and HD DVD as the TV and AV Receiver will be looking for different audio streams - you may have to toggle the Source through different audio modes depending on which sound 'system' you are using.

Probably best to try and borrow a Switch/DA to try out in your set-up.

Joe

Darkbet

Standard Member
Hi

Got the Onkyo 905 yesterday. What a beast!
Considering I only have 3 HDMI devices at the moment (SkyHD, Oppo 981 & PS3) I've hooked them all up to the Onkyo. I'm going to test drive this config for a while before complicating the setup!

I'll keep an eye on the Octava stuff anyway.

Thx.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom