HDMI 1.3 on Sony 46x or w 2000 ??

A

Audiman1

Does anyone know if either of these sets ships with the new HDMI 1.3 connector, ? if not when might they ? or will the model change ? (2500 etc..)

Going to plump for a big LCD (or plasma) after Christmas, and probably a PS3 when they arrive for BD films, and don't want to spend £2k+ on a set for it to be out of date within weeks.

Sorry of this has been answered before,

Ian

bigtim

Does anyone know if either of these sets ships with the new HDMI 1.3 connector, ? if not when might they ? or will the model change ? (2500 etc..)

Going to plump for a big LCD (or plasma) after Christmas, and probably a PS3 when they arrive for BD films, and don't want to spend £2k+ on a set for it to be out of date within weeks.

Sorry of this has been answered before,

Ian

Neither has HDMI1.3 but it's not a new connector - it's the same connector as HDMI 1.1 and 1.2. It's just a different hardware on the other side to accomodate bigger bandwidth for colour and auto lipsync. You'd see no diff between 1.2 and 1.3 when connecting a PS3 AFAIK (I stand to be corrected).

A

Audiman1

BigTim,
I was under the impression the PS3 has HMDI 1.3 and will push out 1080p, assuming this is the case the TV wont see the extra and will work at HDMI 1.1 spec , correct ?

neilmcl

BigTim,
I was under the impression the PS3 has HMDI 1.3 and will push out 1080p, assuming this is the case the TV wont see the extra and will work at HDMI 1.1 spec , correct ?
All versions of the HDMI spec. can handle 1080p. You will not see any advantage of having an HDMI 1.3 input using current display technology.

bigtim

BigTim,

As NeilMcl says, PS3 is HDMI1.3 but will happily connect to a TV with HDMI 1.2 or even 1.1 and you wouldn't see any difference between them. All flavours of HDMI handle 1080p without problem.

HDMI allows for some extra features but unless they are being utilised by the player and the display then there's no difference.

A

Audiman1

Sorry still confused, found this article quote "It is so important that some video industry executives suggest the increase in bandwidth not only allows impressive multi-channel audio on the same cable as video, but also that the video itself can make stunning HDTV look as much as twice as good. Reportedly, it is the difference between millions of colors and billions of colors to your HDTV."
So are we saying that even if the Sony 46" had a HDMI 1.3 connector and is being fed a super duper deep colour BD movie from my PS3 that it would look no different from a regular BD movie ?

I'm very new at this lark and don't want to spend thousands, if i'm better waiting just a couple more months for the next model release with 1.3.

Thanks
Ian

W

Wolfheart

Sorry still confused, found this article quote "It is so important that some video industry executives suggest the increase in bandwidth not only allows impressive multi-channel audio on the same cable as video, but also that the video itself can make stunning HDTV look as much as twice as good. Reportedly, it is the difference between millions of colors and billions of colors to your HDTV."
So are we saying that even if the Sony 46" had a HDMI 1.3 connector and is being fed a super duper deep colour BD movie from my PS3 that it would look no different from a regular BD movie ?

I'm very new at this lark and don't want to spend thousands, if i'm better waiting just a couple more months for the next model release with 1.3.

Thanks
Ian

I've read from these forums that Bluray (for movies) itself does not support the added colors that HDMI 1.3 offers. I also wonder if you can really see any difference between HDMI 1.2 and HDMI 1.3. It might also take longer than a few months before a HDMI 1.3 TV is available. Sony X2500 series supports HDMI 1.3, but it is only available in Japan and Sony has no release plans for Europe yet (read that from a thread on this forum).

neilmcl

Thanks
Ian
Its only going to be as good as the weakest link in the chain and even if there are future sources that will be able to deliver these advances such as deep colour current and near-future displays are not up to the task. This has been talked about quite extensively on these forums recently but in essence simply sticking a HDMI 1.3 input on current display technology is akin to sticking a Ferrari badge on your Vauxhall Cavalier, great thing to show your mates but in essence doesn't actually do anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom