Hdmi 1.3 Concerns....

oasisnut

Novice Member
So with 1.3 being implemented into new devices, where does that leave devices (TV'S) with 1.1 and 1.2 HDMI
how much better image, colour depth, etc will 1.3 provide?
if i plug a PS3 with 1.3 HDMI into my bravia old 's' series ( assume 1.1 HDMI?) whats gonna happen, now, i understand that HDMI is backwards compatible, but this only means 'IT WILL WORK' and i wont benefit any better image quality, due to 1.3 going to 1.1, correct?
also, is it correct that the new super DTS soundtracks will only output through 1.3 and therefore will not be available to people who dont have a 1.3 set-up?

jeez, iam confusing myself now!:confused:

meggie_dude

Novice Member
jamespickles said:
So with 1.3 being implemented into new devices, where does that leave devices (TV'S) with 1.1 and 1.2 HDMI
how much better image, colour depth, etc will 1.3 provide?
if i plug a PS3 with 1.3 HDMI into my bravia old 's' series ( assume 1.1 HDMI?) whats gonna happen, now, i understand that HDMI is backwards compatible, but this only means 'IT WILL WORK' and i wont benefit any better image quality, due to 1.3 going to 1.1, correct?
also, is it correct that the new super DTS soundtracks will only output through 1.3 and therefore will not be available to people who dont have a 1.3 set-up?

jeez, iam confusing myself now!:confused:
I have similar concerns although in relation to HDCP which has already caused some excitement in the Hyundai Q321/A321 forums as Sky had setup their HD boxes with 1.3 and they would not work with the earlier spec HDCP on the Hyundais.
This is being addressed. But it does beg the question - just how "future proof" (as they are frequently advertised) are our sets?
When new interface security/protocols/functionality come along are we being left with something incompatible at worst or lacking in quality at best??

ianh64

Novice Member
Just because something is HDMI 1.3 is doesn't mean that the new bits are implemented. So don't go holding out for HDMI 1.3 kit as even when it arrives, it may not have the nice new functionality that you want.

oasisnut

Novice Member
ianh64 said:
Just because something is HDMI 1.3 is doesn't mean that the new bits are implemented. So don't go holding out for HDMI 1.3 kit as even when it arrives, it may not have the nice new functionality that you want.
yes, but in this thread we are asking, HOW MUCH better will HDMI 1.3 be.
should we be concerned that (for example) a ps3 on a 1.3 HDMI TV will LOOK a lot BETTER than a ps3 on a 1.1 HDMI TV

Haze

Novice Member
Hang on, I was just about to order a TOSHIBA 32wl66 on the recommendation of people from this forum. Now it seems it might not be future proof???

Please tell me what version of HDMI and HDCP does the TOSHIBA 32wl66 Samsung R7 and Panasonic TX-32LXD60 use? :lease:

paulm187

Novice Member
Haze said:
Hang on, I was just about to order a TOSHIBA 32wl66 on the recommendation of people from this forum. Now it seems it might not be future proof???

Please tell me what version of HDMI and HDCP does the TOSHIBA 32wl66 Samsung R7 and Panasonic TX-32LXD60 use? :lease:
Hey here is a secret! There is no such thing as FUTURE PROOF!!! If it is not HDMI 1.3 it will be 1.4, 1.5 etc etc. Or may be you should wait for OLED or SED Tv's. Oh wait how about the 3D technology that some manufacturers are working on??uh? :)

Haze

Novice Member
paulm187 said:
Hey here is a secret! There is no such thing as FUTURE PROOF!!! If it is not HDMI 1.3 it will be 1.4, 1.5 etc etc. Or may be you should wait for OLED or SED Tv's. Oh wait how about the 3D technology that some manufacturers are working on??uh? :)
But I still want a FEW years out of the thing I spend over a grand on :D

Anyone got an answer to my question?

PeteD64

Novice Member
Haze said:
I'm almost certain they won't be 1.3 because the standard has only recently been agreed. I think it was after they were launched.

ianh64

Novice Member
jamespickles said:
yes, but in this thread we are asking, HOW MUCH better will HDMI 1.3 be.
should we be concerned that (for example) a ps3 on a 1.3 HDMI TV will LOOK a lot BETTER than a ps3 on a 1.1 HDMI TV
Ok. Its going to be no better as I suspect that the deep colour stuff won't be implemented on anything for ages. We have the option for 12 bit colour now but very little is making use of it (normally downscale internally to 8 - 10 bit) so I doubt that the manufacturers will go out of their way to make use of it when they can't even make use of what they have available now. And as for sound. How many TV's can you expect to implement SACD/Dolby True HD etc sound decoding?

Out of curiosity, what site started all the "HDMI 1.3" hype?

There was none of it for the new versions in the past.

There are far better things to worry about on a TV.