HDMI 1.3 comes to 1080p audio products in 2007

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
An update for those awaiting news on HDMI v1.3 equipped amps, CES 2007 could see the first products announced that will accommodate the new HD audio codecs. The following taken from here:

This week I spent some time at D&M Holdings (Umbrella Company of Denon and Marantz among other companies) headquarters in NJ as they gave select journalists a pre-CES 2007 preview. Much like the Ghost of Christmas Future in Dickens' A Christmas Carol. OK. You ask what does this have to do with Digital TV? Well, they realize that to fully appreciate 1080p and HDTV, you need good audio. And, not just good audio, but audio and that also includes video processing and scaling.

Denon currently holds the number 2 share in Receivers/Amps/Tuners (at 19.1-percent for 2006 up from 17.1-percent in 2005) behind Sony. Denon's vision of the future of the Connect Home is that the AV Receiver is the central device that controls and processes all signals coming into the home. In, a sense, it's a true A/V media server. The first message that Denon wanted to impart was the fact that all of its AV Receivers in 2007, which are scheduled for mid-year introduction will include HDMI version 1.3. As well, these receivers will support 36-bit Deep Color, and 1080p pass-thru. Depending on the specific receiver model, select devices will include video processing by Silicon Optix, Faroudja, and Analog Devices. And, high-end models include DolbyTrue HD, and DTS Master HD surround sound decoding. Several models will include Dolby Digital Plus processing.

What I want to know is how will they implement HD decoding when AFAIK bitstream is not allowed out of HD players? Will this have any advantages over current method of multi-channel PCM via HDMI? ....I leave to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom