HDFury Vrroom DSC monitor & LG TV

SwinBob72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bit of a niche question, but I know there are a few fellow Vrroom owners on here, so thought someone may be able to help me out with this one.

I've currently got my HDFury Vrroom with my PC, XBSX, PS5 and Nintendo Switch as inputs, and TX0 hooked up to one of the 2 HDMI 2.1 ports on my LG BX, with AUD out to my Denon AVR and it works perfectly. I get 4K120 VRR with Atmos on everything (well except the switch obv 🤣 ) and, other than the occasional need to reboot to get signals detected when switching inputs, it does the job great.

Now I want to add a PC monitor to the second output on the Vrroom, so I can play at my desk, or on the couch, without messing around moving cables etc. So I want to get a 4K120hz+ HDMI 2.1 monitor to do that job.

I want a 27/28" monitor to fit in with my exisitng setup, so I have narrowed it down to two options, I can get an Acer Nitro XV282K for £399, or pay almost double to get the Samsung AG700. Both seem pretty equal in terms of picture quality etc. so the Nitro is currently winning due to it being a lot cheaper.

However the Nitro only has 24Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports, so it relies on DSC to achieve 4K120HDR output. I know this will limit me to 4:2:0 chroma with PS5 (due to PS5 not supporting DSC), but that isn't really a problem.

What I want to know is will the Vrroom output correctly to both my TV & this monitor without me having to change settings on either my devices, or the Vrroom, when I go from one to the other? I don't need to use both at once, but I really don't want to have to go in and reconfigure anything when I move from one to the other.

And if this setup wouldn't work, without having to mess with settings all the time, would the AG700 (with it's 40Gbps ports) work without such configuration.

Thanks for any help

Bit the bullet and ordered the Acer Nitro. Will get it all set up, and tested, when it arrives, and update this thread with findings just in case anyone else finds the info useful.

OK. It's taken a couple of days of tinkering (and an update to the latest 0.36beta FW on the Vrroom) but I've finally got it working.

So I've got the following equipment hooked up to the Vrroom, in the following input/outputs:

TX0 - LG OLED55BX TV
TX1 - Acer Nitro XV282K KV Monitor
AUD - Denon AVR-X2200W Atmos AVR
RX0 - RTX 3080Ti Windows PC
RX1 - XBOX Series X
RX2 - Playstation 5
RX3 - Nintendo Switch

I have now got the Vrroom outputing to both the TV & Monitor without having to change any settings, or plug/unplug anything, using an Automix that uses the TV as the base EDID, and then modifies it with restrictions based on the monitors capabilities, as per the attached image.

With this set up I can use either display, or both at once. Obviously I am restricting the TV by turning off ALLM, DV and restricting to FRL3 bandwidth, but I don't really use DV for gaming, and the Vrroom is connected to a dedicated HDMI port on my TV, that has gaming mode turned on all the time, as I only use consoles for gaming not media, so don't really need ALLM either.

Anyway, if someone else is thinking of a similar setup I can confirm it works. :)

Attachments

• hdfury_automix.jpg
    hdfury_automix.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 44
Quick update, in case anyone is interested.

I was a little premature with my "it works", yes technically it does work, but has one restriction that makes it unusable imo, it will only work properly if both displays are turned on, or the TV. If I try to use just the monitor it will only work at 1080p/60, non HDR, as the PS5/XBOX are detecting it as a simple 1080p/60 display. I can get a 4K120 VRR output to the monitor, if I make sure that the TV is turned on when I turn the console on, if I turn the TV off, it then works great until the console wants to switch video modes, for example launch a 120Hz game. If the TV is turned off when this change occurs, the PS5 re-detects the monitor as being 1080p only, so I have to make sure the TV is turned on, before I launch any app that want's to switch video mode, such as turn HDR On/Off change refresh rate, enable VRR.

Had some back and forth with HDFury support, via Discord, and they don't know why. Even with just the monitor attached to the Vrroom, the PS5 detects it as a stock 1080p display, but if I take the same cable out of the Vrroom and plug it in the monitor the PS5 picks it up fine.

Frankly, I've been a little underwhelmed with the Vrroom. It works great to get 4K120 with all the bells and whistles, to my main display, with Atmos audio to the AVR at the same time, but the multi monitor/splitter/matrix stuff just doesn't work very well, and for £500+ I was expecting a more mature product.

So for now I'm going back to my £30 HDMI switch, and swapping cables when I want to use different displays, and will be listing the Vrroom in the classifieds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom