HDFury Vertex Review & Comments

LAMitchell

Thanks for the feedback Steve. Its also worth noting that their technical support is excellent. I have the HDFury Ultra HD, which I used to get around the problem of my AV amp not supporting HDCP 2.2. They have helped me sort out my issues and also pointed out a new device they are planning to bring out soon which is a HDMI 10BaseT extender that will run 4k 10bit 60hz. The company are bending over backwards to fix a number of issues 4k has brought into the market.

Joe C

Distinguished Member
Good review.

I bought the cheaper Linker to address the issue with HDR games on an OLED (injecting HDR instructions) and it’s made quite a phenomenal difference.

Might upgrade to this as I can see the benefit of what this brings to my setup. Wouldn’t have known it could do what it did without this review - so thanks again

cobhc2008

Good review.

I bought the cheaper Linker to address the issue with HDR games on an OLED (injecting HDR instructions) and it’s made quite a phenomenal difference.

Might upgrade to this as I can see the benefit of what this brings to my setup. Wouldn’t have known it could do what it did without this review - so thanks again

Can I ask what issues you're referring to with HDR games on an OLED?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Scotland11 - we have a lot of Gamers who use the Vertex to play at 4K on a Primary Display plus capture at 1080p, 1080i or 720p.

Joe

Joe C

Distinguished Member
Can I ask what issues you're referring to with HDR games on an OLED?

There’s a whole thread on it on here somewhere (sorry, am on phone so can’t find it), but, effectively, consoles don’t provide the correct metadata regarding NIT mastering. The HD Fury Linker can correct that. Sounded like snake oil until I saw one in action. Look for the posters @BRAKKUS1 and @adbailey18 - they have taught me more than I can explain here

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Another 'fix' the HDF kit resolves is iPlayer HLG on SKY Italia for some Samsung owners - another of those very useful fix's which is only relevant to a limited number of owners.

Joe

KrisK

Novice Member
HDfury provided an update for LLDV support on Vertex since a while now, it seems the below excerpt is incorrect or outdated:

However, it currently doesn't support the second Dolby Vision mode created for Sony TVs. HDFury are working on a solution and hope to update the Vertex soon.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
HDfury provided an update for LLDV support on Vertex since a while now, it seems the below excerpt is incorrect or outdated:

However, it currently doesn't support the second Dolby Vision mode created for Sony TVs. HDFury are working on a solution and hope to update the Vertex soon.

Just had that confirmed by Ken, the review has been updated. Thanks.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Dumb questions:

1. Can this pass 2D stream from a native 3D MVC encode? I got some 3D Blu-rays with switching Aspect Ratio and the only way to watch on my OLED is by ripping into mkv

2. Are there are controls to boost contrast, colour and brightness?

Last edited:

chordguy

Can this be used to fix the Oppo 203 tone mapping issue for projector use, which the player can't seem to fully master and, so far, no firmware update from Oppo has been forthcoming?

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Can this be used to fix the Oppo 203 tone mapping issue for projector use, which the player can't seem to fully master and, so far, no firmware update from Oppo has been forthcoming?
You can use it to strip the HDR and output 4K Rec.2020 SDR instead, which is what a lot of projector owners use it for.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Dumb questions:

1. Can this pass 2D stream from a native 3D MVC encode? I got some 3D Blu-rays with switching Aspect Ratio and the only way to watch on my OLED is by ripping into mkv

2. Are there are controls to boost contrast, colour and brightness?
I don't know the answer to the first question, hopefully someone else can help with that one, but in answer to your second question, there are no contrast, colour, or brightness controls on the Vertex.

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member

They are coming up with an update for Xbox One X Dolby Vision too.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member

What exactly is the 3D problem you are trying to solve? It's not very clear. Loads of players can play back just the 2D portion, if that is what you are trying to do. Vertex can't process video that way from what I recall.

If you have to do this from an HDMI output your best bet would probably be a used 3D capable Lumagen, which can output one or other eye with a 3D input.

Mark_a

Does it accept their 3D for non-3D displays firmware, or is that only for the standard HDFury?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
What exactly is the 3D problem you are trying to solve? It's not very clear. Loads of players can play back just the 2D portion, if that is what you are trying to do. Vertex can't process video that way from what I recall.

If you have to do this from an HDMI output your best bet would probably be a used 3D capable Lumagen, which can output one or other eye with a 3D input.

3D Blu-rays wont play on a non-3D TV even if I ask the player to convert to 2D. I have tried many things but it doesn't work.

So the workaround is to use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-ray and playback the MKV file.

If you are able to successfully playback Disney 3D Blu-rays on a 4K TV let me know.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Can you convert an SDR signal to HDR?
You can inject HDR metadata into an SDR signal, I do that to test HDR input lag on TVs. However in terms of actual video, SDR and HDR are two completely different standards. So you although you can inject HDR metadata into an SDR signal to make a display think it's receiving an HDR image, you can't simply turn SDR into HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts