HDFury Linker

G-Man72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

JUst trying to find out if this is the best option for me.

My av amp is an onkyo TX-NR838 with 1 hdcp 2.2 output and one 2.2 input (along with all the usual)

now we usually have SkyQ into the 2.2 port showing 4k with no problems.

We also have the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K spinner which also has no problems in the only 2.2 input.

However I am fed up of pulling my unit out and having to swap the cables around everytime we want to watch a UHD disk.

The TV is fully 4k and HDR compliant and is connected to the 2.2 output and works fine with all devices.

So.....is this the best option?

Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen

If you end up deciding to go for one then i’d suggest you also get the GoBlue accessory that lets you control the Linker from your phone or tablet, it makes changing settings and swapping the input a helluva lot easier.

Look at the Integral as an Option to the Linker - both will do what you require (2x1 HDCP 2.2 Switch).

If you don't require the scaling option the Linker provides you gain the (integrated) iOS/Android control 'option' the GoBlue Adds if you go the Linker Route.

HDfury Integral – The Media Factory

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks but I dont think the Integral is worth it for me as all the sources are 4k anyway.

How do you switch between sources though?

The Linker is a two HDMI In, one out affair. You can have the Video Out from the UB900 connected to Input 1 and the Q Box through the AVR connected to Input 2.

The Linker App on the GoBlue allows you to switch between the two using your phone/tablet.

The Integral (£169) lacks video scaling - you may be thinking of the Vertex (£315) which has up and down conversion.

Linker (£165) Source selection - is via an onboard Switch, a connected PC or add in the GoBlue (£49) Bluetooth adapter and you can control it via iOS or Android.

Integral Source Selection - is via an onboard Switch, a connected PC or onboard Bluetooth via iOS or Android.

Joe

The Integral (£169) lacks video scaling - you may be thinking of the Vertex (£315) which has up and down conversion.

Linker (£165) Source selection - is via an onboard Switch, a connected PC or add in the GoBlue (£49) Bluetooth adapter and you can control it via iOS or Android.

Integral Source Selection - is via an onboard Switch, a connected PC or onboard Bluetooth via iOS or Android.

Joe
Sorry but you mentioned the Integral in your last post that was all??!!??

You have me confused now!!

Hi G-Man72

You mentioned the Integral not being worth it for you! If you want App control of an HDFury Switch and don’t require video scaling the Integral (2x2) is £169 vs. the Linker + GoBlue (2x1) at £215.

The Integral does not require the GoBlue adapter.

If you have the Linker without the GoBlue the price is £165 but you lose App control and have to use the Input button on the Linker or have it permanently connected to a PC and use the GUI.

Joe

I'd probably go for a replacement AVR. The Linker etc is overkill to get just an extra input; sell your existing and get something with a bevy of inputs.

You're only delaying the inevitable; once you need a 3rd input the HDFury will be no use.

I'd probably go for a replacement AVR. The Linker etc is overkill to get just an extra input; sell your existing and get something with a bevy of inputs.

You're only delaying the inevitable; once you need a 3rd input the HDFury will be no use.

I agree with jfinnie - track the price of the current set of AVR's which are being replaced by new ones - they get discounted very heavily at the end of their product life, and sell the 838 on here.

I'll add - having had several HDfury devices, presently own the Vertex - unless I had something I was trying to achieve that I couldn't do by other means I would try and avoid. Switching is definitely one such scenario - they're just too complex to use just for that. They are good problem solvers, but they can bring their own challenges to setups. If in doubt go for the simpler option.

Unless there is another switch that was cheaper, the Linker looks like the way to go especially as it is only £139 on Amazon at the moment and that is from Kalibrate Via amazon!!

I cant see the need at the moment for more than 2 hdcp sockets as we dont bother with any other streaming devices that I cant get through my TV or the Panasonic!

HDFury Linker vs. Integral - both will do a good job for you, the Integral having the potential advantage when it comes to Bluetooth Control as you don’t need to add in the GoBlue adapter.

Joe

I agree with JFinnie, after researching the HDFury range it will only cost an extra £100 to get a much better solution by buying a newer secondhand AVR and selling the your old one.

The added lag the HDFury range add to switching and the constant variation in setup would drive me mad.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom