HDDVD v Upscaled

Drew2

Hi All,

Thought you might like to view the following shots in the hope that you can decide wether to wait for HD to arrive or to get an upscaling player.

1st. Apologies for pic' quality - need to upgrade my camera to do them justice! :D

2nd. My PJ is 720p so ultimately everything is converted to that resolution - but you should still get the idea. I hope! :rolleyes:

These come from my Panasonic recorder and the HD content from its HDD. The movie was broadcast in its original HD format unlike other films which have been upscaled.The player is connected via a HDMI to DVI cable(3m) and although it gives the option to upscale to 750p/1125i it actually only does 1125. :confused:

It was the 1st time in ages for me to watch 525p and I have to say it is sooooo bad! Full of lines and an almost out of focus look - "has some one patched a VHS signal into my unit!! ";)

You should notice that the HD image has been cropped when it was transferred to DVD.

The next set of images will come from my Momitsu - DVI and component with 1:1 mapping from it and my PC..... so keep watching this space.

Attachments

msrx7mh3

Thanks for making this effort- im sure it will go some way to help users.
Which pics relate to which resolutions?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Hover your mouse over each pic....it tells you.

Must admit...impressed with the upscaled pic compared to the standard...

msrx7mh3

Thanks- and yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly (even though I was a bit of a sceptic about all this to begin with!)

B

bonc

Nice one Drew,

right on the money!

p.s the true HD pic of the couple is not cropped but the 576 and 1080 version, not only are they slightly inferior but are so badly cropped they are missing alot of the picture....

please tell me this is to do with they way you uploaded the pics rather than we are getting ripped off when buying DVDS as we are missing most of the picture compared to what it would have been with the same film on a High def channel???

Drew2

Sorry for delay, been on holiday.

Just to confirm that the HD pic is "as is"

The other pics are from the DVD version and again are "as is", nothing to do with me!

So, yeah you get more movie on a high def channel.(If the movie was filmed in HD)

Have been carrying out some 'mods' on my Momitsu so hope to have some more pics very soon - waiting for RC to arrive from UK.

The UK title of movie is "house of flying daggers" or words to that effect.

sandstheman

Drew2 said:

So, yeah you get more movie on a high def channel.(If the movie was filmed in HD)

Interesting, appears like the HD print, is 16:9 and then it's been cropped to 2.35:1 when transferred to DVD, no doubt this is because they just transferred the print used in cinemas (which will have been 2.35:1 as well so that the film wasn't pillarboxed into the middle of the screen)

Drew2

gingerone said:
Is it me or is the colour way out on the dvd shots?
The HD shots look far more natural.
Totally agree with you - but if I had never seen the HD version I would never have thought anything wrong with the DVDs colours. Just goes to show that it's all 'relative'!

B

bonc

gingerone said:
Is it me or is the colour way out on the dvd shots?
The HD shots look far more natural.
OMG your right Ginger, what on earth is going on!!!

its all a con! :thumbsdow

funny thing is i've watched that film twice, and i didnt recognise the pics you posted! dunno what I thought it was LOL!

Trending threads

Top Bottom