• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDDVD rip to MKV Pulldown Flag removal?

moraybank

Established Member
I've tried a search but having no joy (also posted in the ripping thread at the top of the page)

My problem is I have dug out my Xbox's old HD-DVD drive and used it to rip HD-DVD's using MakeMKV, I didn't notice that every file output has been 29fps, is there a solution so I can get 24p playback?

Im a Mac user btw, can use a PC if necessary but would prefer not to.

Thanks.

Rom

Prominent Member
It is pretty simple on a PC (I know nothing about Macs). Just get Haali Media Splitter & EAC3To.

Haali Media Splitter

Install Haali and thats all you do with it (Eac3To uses it).

Get eac3to:

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Extract this to some (easy to type) folder, eg c:\eac3to

Then open a dos box and CD to the folder the MKV you want to remove pulldown is in. and type:

c:\eac3to\eac3to.exe mkv_with_pulldown.mkv new_24fps.mkv

Where mkv_with_pulldown.mkv is the filename you want to convert/remove pulldown and new_24fps.mkv is the filename for the new file to create with pulldown removed.

This creates a file with the video only in it but the video has pulldown removed. What I do then is use MKVMerge in the MKVToolnix package add in both the old and new files, untick the video from the original MKV and remux (takes a minute or two).

You now have a full rip of the HD DVD with all the original audio, chapters & subtitles that were in your original rip but with no pulldown :)

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
I dont think the necessary software exists on OSX, similar tools to MakeMKV pavtube & DVDFab for OSX don't support HD-DVD.

This guide here does the same thing but with a UI to eac3to but again Windows only.

I'd get parallels for OSX so you can use a Windows virtual machine.

moraybank

Established Member
Thanks guys, used a combination of the two methods described and ripped a load of old hd-DVDs.

Takes quite a while but they look fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom