HDDs - How do you treat yours?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matthew Attoe, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Just recently got myself a Tosh RDXS32 and am in a quandry about how to treat the hard disk.

I have three optionss:

1) Leave it on all the time

2) Leave it on all the time, but let the hard disk spin down when not in use

3) Turn it off when not in use (preferred idea at the moment, as this stops a little RF interference I'm getting)

There used to be an argument about leaving hard disks spinning as they were more likely to fail during the power on/power off cycles. The other side of the argument was leaving hard disks spinning is bad for them as you wear out the bearings (or something).

So, what do you all do with yours?

Thanks,

Matthew

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Today's hard drives have fluid bearings which mean that they do not wear out and are almost silent in use.

My advice would be to leave the HDD to power down after a certain time of inactivity (the drive electronics actually stay powered up/warm but it turns the main motor off) - this is less stressful to the HDD than a cold start.

I think todays HDD's have a MTBF (mean time before failure) of some 20 years so the the main thing to keep to this MTBF is to reduce the unit's HEAT and SHOCK/VIBRATIONS where possible (ie good ventalation etc)