HDDR records only a few minutes at a time (Hitachi HDR255)

alywin

Standard Member
Really weird yesterday. A borrowed HDD recorder (Hitachi HDR255) kept recording approximately 4 minutes at a time of a long programme I was recording (set via the EPG), then shutting off, and every time it did that it would switch from displaying the channel it was recording (and turning off the recording as a result?) onto a different channel (really annoying, as I was trying to watch!) and I'd have to switch back. Didn't matter whether I entered the correct channel manually or whether I used the Prog+/- button, the result was always the same (the "wrong" channel may have been the one I was recording on the previous day). I could have switched to the view from the TV input, but I didn't trust the recorder to behave, so was monitoring it on the SCART input. When this happened, I would frequently get "LOAD" or "HDD" showing on the display as the machine tried to decide what it was going to do next. Eventually, I managed to persuade the machine to cancel the recording, and then recorded the rest of it manually (as opposed to via the EPG), and it was fine.

The drive was probably about 75-80% full at this stage, I should think, if that makes a difference.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this, please?

Fred Smith

Really weird yesterday. A borrowed HDD recorder (Hitachi HDR255) kept recording approximately 4 minutes at a time of a long programme I was recording (set via the EPG), then shutting off, and every time it did that it would switch from displaying the channel it was recording (and turning off the recording as a result?) onto a different channel (really annoying, as I was trying to watch!) and I'd have to switch back. Didn't matter whether I entered the correct channel manually or whether I used the Prog+/- button, the result was always the same (the "wrong" channel may have been the one I was recording on the previous day). I could have switched to the view from the TV input, but I didn't trust the recorder to behave, so was monitoring it on the SCART input. When this happened, I would frequently get "LOAD" or "HDD" showing on the display as the machine tried to decide what it was going to do next. Eventually, I managed to persuade the machine to cancel the recording, and then recorded the rest of it manually (as opposed to via the EPG), and it was fine.

The drive was probably about 75-80% full at this stage, I should think, if that makes a difference.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this, please?

It's a Vestel T835. What firmware is it running?

PS is not a Blu-ray or DVD player or recorder, so you should ask the mods to move this to the relevant forum:

Freeview & YouView

alywin

Standard Member
No idea at the moment about firmware, although I notice that the software doesn't seem to have been updated since the thing was bought, so I'm currently checking for updates. Thanks for pointing out I've got the wrong forum - not quite sure how that happened, because I'm sure I was in the Digital TV ... forum when I posted it.

The recorder started doing this again last night on something else: seems to record about 4 minutes then have a rest for about 10, then start all over again ... It's literally only been happening the past few days.

alywin

Standard Member
It says "Receiver upgrade V.3.5", if that's any help.

Futaura

That is the next best software from the latest/last (v5.2). What you describe is the box rebooting (could be a software crash), as LOAD is what is shown when booting up. HDD on the front panel is slightly more worrying as this means Linux is checking the filesystem - this could mean the hard drive is malfunctioning or equally, if the software crashed and rebooted for another reason, while recording, the filesystem could be left in an unknown state.

Hard to diagnose the ultimate cause. Are you in an area that can pick up a signal from multiple signals? If so, it may be worth performing a first time installation and manually tuning using the mux UHF numbers for the correct transmitter.

Also, follow the advice of the top item at Vestel PVR Unofficial Information (UK) - Troubleshooting

alywin

Standard Member
Sorry for the delayed reply: I doubt it - I'm within a couple of miles, line of sight, from the local transmitter. I may try again sometime, but for the moment I've not got it connected to the aerial, so am just using it to replay what I did manage to record.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom