HDD upgrade

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cogrady84, Mar 3, 2013.

1. cogrady84

cogrady84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Guys,

After a little bit of research, I have decided to upgrade the HDD in my Sky+HD box from 500Gb to 2Tb, I ordered the following drive:

WD AV-GP 2TB Internal Hard Drive 3.5 inch SATA 3 GB/s 64MB: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I have the Amstrad DRX890-R STB

I am not fussed about retaining any of my current recordings, I am just looking for an up to date, step-by-step guide to dismantling the STB and replacing the drive, and also a guide for preparation of the drive prior to installation, as I believe there are issues regarding 4K AF and IntelliPark features?

What software do I need, should I disable the parking features and what formatting options should I take?

Thanks guys :hiya:

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Can't help with the formatting but as the drive is designed for pvr use no need to disable anything. I imagine the drive will be SATA111 so you may need to jumper pins 5 & 6 to make it work.

3. cogrady84

cogrady84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Ah, is the DRX890-R SATA 1.5?

EDIT - The drive I have ordered says its Sata 300, which is SATA II right? so I won't need to jumper it?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  4. mrmt32

mrmt32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The WD20EURS has been quite popular for disk upgrades, and I do not think anyone had to use any jumpers with that model. I do remember some posts about disabling head parking to stop some added noise (just the sound of the disk parking the heads every so often; I think it involved using some western digital tool), but that is all.

To format to the full 2TB you will need to use ExPVR; just connect your disk, install the free version, choose Tools -> Format Disk and follow the instructions. If your disk is not listed, make sure you have deleted all the partitions on the disk (it should be blank when you first get it though).

There are plenty of guides on the internet for taking apart the DRX890 (there is one I wrote on my forums). I will say it is quite a bit harder than the older boxes but it is not too bad, just quite time consuming.

5. cogrady84

cogrady84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thats great, thanks for the info, i'll post back when the drive arrives and if I need anymore assistance! thanks again :hiya: