1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Upgrade possible??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kenindubai, Dec 22, 2004.

1. kenindubai

kenindubai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!!
    My Panny DMR-E85 is great but HDD too small. Can I change it for a bigger capacity HDD? Will the firmware deal with it??
    Thanks Kenindubai
    :lease:

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I haven't tried it but I've read that if you fit a larger HDD the OS only uses the first 80GB, so you don't gain anything.

You can use RAM discs as a way of extending the HDD (sort of) while you save for a machine with a bigger drive (or wait for them to come down in price). Think of them as small removable HDDs. You can buy 10 for £15 at the moment with the buy one get one free offers. An extra 94GB for £30 isn't bad.

3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Ah! I didn't pay enough attention to your user name. I don't know the price of RAM discs in Dubai.

4. kenindubai

kenindubai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No price here - they're as rare as rocking horse do-dos!!!

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I have a Pan 85 also. Personally, if the drive starts to fill up I just edit the material and copy to very cheap dvd-r's. The link below will take you to a site that sell dvd-r's for 20-25p each if bought in 25/50 spindles. This is a far cheaper and easier way of freeing up space on the HDD, than having to replace it with no guarentees the mkachine will recognise the extra space. I bought 100 in one go. Cost £25 roughly including delivery.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Show_me_all_the_DVD_R.html