HDD upgrade and acoustic management

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by alan8477, Sep 20, 2007.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have upgraded my Sky HDbox (thanks to this forum) to a Hitachi 1TB drive (Dekstar). It is a little bit clicky in use, and although I am aware of Hitachi's acoustic management tool I have a problem with it.

I think the AM tool works from a bootable system disk, ie minimum basic systems availability. Because my computer is a laptop, I can only access the drive via a USB facility, which does not seem to be available from the bootable disk. Consequently the drive is not visible from within the utility.

Other than finding a PC where I can mount the drive in a spare bay, is there anything I can do with my laptop?

2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Not that I am aware. I have exactly the same issue - though its only really a minor issue when recroding 2 and watching a recording for me. If you get a better response let me know

3. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    You're referring to Hitachi Feature Tool BUT it doesn't have to be booted from a floppy disc. You can boot from a CD/DVD using this ISO - http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/ftool_207.iso

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes it was a CD/ISO disk that I tried it with. I still get the same problem, USB services are not visible.

5. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I thought you were refering to not being able to see the floppy drive (to boot from) rather than the HD.

As Feature tools doesn't work with ANY form of drive mounted in an external enclosure you'll need to run it from a PC with the HD attached directly.