1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD to dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WeirdFish, Dec 7, 2003.

1. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I was talking to a friend last night trying to convince him that nows as good as time as any to buy a dvd recorder, regardless of format, and he asked me a question about HDD recorders. I have sky+ so I didnt know, but I know a lot of people that probably do :D

If you've recordered something onto a HDD and then want to back it up to dvd, does this happen in real time or is it a quick data transfer.

When you back up sky+ you have to play back the program while recording it onto dvd, so it takes however long the program is. Is this the same with HDD/DVD recorders?

Thanks

Steve

2. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wierdfish, Only recorders at the upper end of the market (Panasonic E100 and one or two more), will allow high speed dub onto DVD-R. With the E100, this can only be done if the recording on the HDD is transferred at the same encoding rate.

Typically, with an HDD/DVD combo, it's best to record from the source (Sky+) to the HDD at the highest possible quality, before editing & dubbing to DVD-R using a slightly lower quality setting. After all, you only get 1 hour at best quality on a DVD-R, so more often that note, you'll be compromising between quality and amount of contents on a disc.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just leave the machine dubbing and go to work or to bed depending on the time of day, it doesnt matter then how long it takes.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at the highest rate how long can you fit onto the hard disc 9hrs or so?

5. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    - High speed dubbing (4X -R, 2X -RW) can also be performed by the pioneer 5100h (and 510H, 610H, 515H, 710H).
    Burning at full speed (-R) on the 5100h: max 15 minutes + max 2 minutes to finalize.

- The panny E100 has a 80 and 120 GB HDD- model dependent, if I recall correctly.

- At highest bitrate settings +- 10Mbps will get you 17.5 hours on a 80GB HDD (i.e. in FINE-XP mode).
    In SP mode -4.5 mbps- you get about 35 hours on a 80GB HDD.

- Thus one the future Sony models, at that same bitrate (cause Sony will support one even higher maximum bitrate) with 320 GB HDD that would mean 70 hours in FINE/XP mode.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah sorry I was thinking of the 40Gb HS2

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 offers 9 hours at XP.It will also do high speed dubbing,but only using HDD-RAM,or vice versa

8. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks.

:)