HDD that will store jpegs?

carefactornil

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be getting a HDD recorder soon. One extra I'd really like is the ability to put ALL my digital photos on there too so I can view them via the TV. Does such a box exist? I really don't want to view them off a CD as I won't be able to fit them all on, and I want easy access to them fromt the sofa.

Currently I transfer the pictures onto my laptop for editing. How they get from there to the HDD I don't mind. My order of preference for the transfer (if any/all of these options exist) would be.

1. Wirelessly.
2. A wire, i.e. something permanently connected to the HDD that I can plug the laptop into.
3. CD (I back them up on here anyway)
4. Card.

Any suggestions or is the device I want some form of media-enabled PC?

The Panasonic E95 does this so I assume their other HDD models do too. I think you can only transfer them via memory card. You definitely can't do it wirelessly or via the firewire port but I'm not sure whether you can transfer them from DVD or CD.

The Panasonic DMR-E500 will allow you to copy jpeg's from a memory card to the HDD. You don't have to transfer the images to the HDD in order to view them on the telly but you can store them on the HDD if you wish. Additionally, if you make use of the E500's network function you can also view the jpegs remotely on a PC over a network, wireless too if you want ;)

S.

Thanks guys. Does anyone know about the capabilities of the Pioneers (purely because I'm getting the XDE505 plasma and I've spent more time researching them)?

Steve_P: "You don't have to transfer the images to the HDD in order to view them on the telly" - what other options were you thinking of? I don't have a PC, just a laptop so it's not always switched on. That's the main appeal of having them on the HDD - they are always there to look at and in one place (won't all fit on a CD/DVD).

I may consider just wiring the laptop to the TV (i.e. have a cable always plugged in that you just have to plug into the laptop), but I'd rather not if possible.

carefactornil said:
...Steve_P: "You don't have to transfer the images to the HDD in order to view them on the telly" - what other options were you thinking of? I don't have a PC, just a laptop so it's not always switched on. That's the main appeal of having them on the HDD - they are always there to look at and in one place (won't all fit on a CD/DVD)...
What I meant was that you can just stick the card in the slot and view the images, i.e. you don't have to transfer the jpegs to the HDD in order to view them, so you could be more selective in what you archive to the HDD but you could, as you say, transfer all images and just view in comfort on your telly :thumbsup:

S.

:clap: :clap: Pioneer 433 sighting!!! :D :D yes, actually touchable! - at my local currys (apex corner, hanworth/feltham ) - you'll have to book a demonstration, though....

I had quick read through the manual - good 'picture album' functionality, CD/mp3 jukebox, also can record onto HDD 12 hours continously! (and yes, it *will* do 24 hrs, but will split it into 2 titles... )

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10726&taxonomy_id=45-133

Well in the end I decided to get a 2GB flash card and transfer all my photos on to that, so I can leave it in the 505XDE's media centre. That way the images are shown perfectly in HD.

I might end up needing another card one day but they all fit on for now. This is partly due to me resizing them so they fit the screen resolution perfectly which saves quite a lot of space. I don't want to zoom on them using the TV so there's no point in having a 6mega-pixel picture as the screen won't display it all or any better.

One cool thing I found (Pioneer recommended it) is a tool to write altered images back on to flash cards so that they are still recognised as JPEGs - apparently this has been a Holy Grail for some time. I bought the software:

http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/imaging.html#TVwriter

and David even tailored it for me so that it writes the images at the resolution of my screen, i.e. with black borders on the left and right so I don't end up stretching the image. Recommended!

:eek: :eek: was just checking through my pioneer downloads, and it seems their 'naming' has gone astray....

it seems that the 530 and 630 are listed on the download page, but it actually points to something else!! - I got the rcs77, which is actually a home theatre system, but does include the 530, and another got a short leaflet about Dual-layer DVDs..

so check carefully *where* the link actually goes to, to make sure you get the right one....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom