HDD swop

Status
Not open for further replies.

twist

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

Want to upgrade my HDD but not lose my data, basically have a External WD 250GB I want to install into my PS3, then put the PS3 drive into the caddy and format it.

Problem is, I want to keep my data if possible and the only external I have is the one I want to use in the PS3.

Am I right in thinking the only way to do it is to only copy game saves to a stick + latest firmware, then put in new drive and have to reinstall all game data again?

Thanks

feaviolp

Hi all,

Want to upgrade my HDD but not lose my data, basically have a External WD 250GB I want to install into my PS3, then put the PS3 drive into the caddy and format it.

Problem is, I want to keep my data if possible and the only external I have is the one I want to use in the PS3.

Am I right in thinking the only way to do it is to only copy game saves to a stick + latest firmware, then put in new drive and have to reinstall all game data again?

Thanks

Yep - that's about the size of it. Except you won't copy the latest firmware. That's stored on EEPROM not the HDD so it will still be the same firmware when you replace the HDD :thumbsup:

Also - don't forget to sync trophies before you do it so you don't lose any !

feaviolp

AFAIK (but I may be wrong here) most external HDDs use a 3.5" drive, whereas the PS3 only takes a 2.5" drive.

Some are 2.5" and some are 3.5". It's a fair point though - would need to ensure it's a 2.5" disk before you start.

twist

Distinguished Member
Its a 2.5 sata 2, so will fit have checked, scorpio drive.

If I sync the trophies do they just copy to the stick or what do i need to do, thanks again guys

sunnysunnysunny

Its a 2.5 sata 2, so will fit have checked, scorpio drive.

If I sync the trophies do they just copy to the stick or what do i need to do, thanks again guys

It syncs them with the PSN servers. All you have to do is find the trophy icon in the Game menu, then press Triangle on it and choose "Sync with server" or something like that, that will do it :smashin:

feaviolp

It syncs them with the PSN servers. All you have to do is find the trophy icon in the Game menu, then press Triangle on it and choose "Sync with server" or something like that, that will do it :smashin:

Yep - or the other way to sync (the way I do it) is to find yourself in your friends list and hit X. That syncs your trophies and proves it to you by showing how many you've got. While it's syncing it'll show a status bar saying "syncing trophies" or similar so you'll know when you've done it.

Either way works fine - do whichever way you want :smashin:

cas398

Remember you can delete your demos and stuff to speed up the backup time. Then re-download them later if you want.

feaviolp

Remember you can delete your demos and stuff to speed up the backup time. Then re-download them later if you want.

Nah - his problem is that he's going to be installing the only disk he has for backup into the PS3, hence can't use it as a backup because it needs to be formatted. So instead he'll just backup the game saves (rather than entire disk) to a USB flash drive then re-install whatever games he wants to play again and restore the game saves from the flash drive.

Point is still valid re: the game saves, but I doubt it would save too much time :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom