Quantcast

Answered HDD>SSD

Jsnatch

Hey guys, so ive installed my SSD and got it in the desktop and im busy copying my music/pics etc onto backups so that i can clone files off my HDD onto the SSD.

Is this the correct way, i understand that whatever i choose not to "clone" gets deleted off my HDD?

Not sure what you mean based on the wording. Are you booted up on the HDD and removing stuff so you can clone it?

Personally, I treat a new drive as an excuse to reinstall everything. Your Steam/Origin folder can be backed up, or depending on the size of the drive are seperate anyway for easy reinstallation.

Jsnatch

Yea just wiping stuff off the HDD so it can be cloned, Is there any folders i need to leave untouched?

boltlock

Distinguished Member
I personally only backup stuff that's irreplaceable i.e. photos and important documents etc. The rest would be wiped followed by a fresh install of windows. The games and other software I'd just re-download as and when I needed them.

Jsnatch

I've cloned the drive but just seems to be a black screen when I power up :( any ideas?

Jsnatch

Nevermind seems to have booted up after turning the power back off and on

RMGEE

I managed to clone mine using EaseUS, I didn't really know what I was doing fully but it all went well.

Just wished I ordered a bigger SSD as 240gb fills up quick.

Can I just drag games from my 1TB HD to my SSD as and when I want to play them and then drag them back for storage?

Jsnatch

Ok got it working, just had to goto the bios and switch the boot order from the HDD > SSD.

now to re-download and install junk again :D

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Can I just drag games from my 1TB HD to my SSD as and when I want to play them and then drag them back for storage?
You want to use SteamMover for this (or do it yourself using symbolic links, same result).

Jsnatch

Last question, now that im running off the SSD can i delete the programme files etc off the HDD?

Last question, now that im running off the SSD can i delete the programme files etc off the HDD?
Ignore if things dont apply, but this is the process I did for a mate of mine recently.

This assumes you are binning the Hard drive and are not recycling it.

Make sure HD is not connected (just to make sure you dont accidently wipe it during installation)
In Bios, make sure SSD is found, check its AHCI mode.
Install Windows, make sure you use same credentials (username and password)
Install updates plus some standard applications.
Connect HD again.
Boot up, browse to old HD. OPen User folder. Copy all relevant data (pics docs etc) to User folder on SSD.

Give me a shout later J on Steam/TS and I will help you more if you want.

Jsnatch

Ignore if things dont apply, but this is the process I did for a mate of mine recently.

This assumes you are binning the Hard drive and are not recycling it.

Make sure HD is not connected (just to make sure you dont accidently wipe it during installation)
In Bios, make sure SSD is found, check its AHCI mode.
Install Windows, make sure you use same credentials (username and password)
Install updates plus some standard applications.
Connect HD again.
Boot up, browse to old HD. OPen User folder. Copy all relevant data (pics docs etc) to User folder on SSD.

Give me a shout later J on Steam/TS and I will help you more if you want.

Sure, thanks its working fine now, just going to use the HDD for storage etc but no need for it to have mirrored files on i guess i can just go through it and delete sh*t, i did have to open the task manager > end "explorer" and start new task "explorer" so that the icons in the desktop and task menu loaded back haha.

the speed is not noticeable on my loadup, but loading games. WOW.